What's new

Altec Lansing 508 Towers? (1 Viewer)

John Mil

Agent
Hu Guys. I am new to the board and need some advice please. I am not an audiophile or tech guy, but love loud music, mainly hard rock( Rush, Van Halen, etc) Also like other styles, R and B and funk. I am in a new home and just bought a new 50 inch Sony SXRD TV. I mainly watch tv shows, sporting events and concert/music dvd's. My room is a large room with a high ceiling(vault) that reaches 16 feet high at the peak. The room is 15 feet wide by 19 feet long. I don't really want to do the 5.1 as of yet( I don't watch all that many movies), but really want 2 great tower speakers to really crank my music and concert dvd's.
It just so happens that my father in law just gave me his old Altec Lansing 508 Towers( 4 ohms and 250 watts max power). Does anyone have an opinion on these speakers? I know they are pretty old, but he says they work fine. They have two 8 inch woofers. I have an older Optimus brand stereo receiver, but need to upgrade that. I appreciate the help guys!

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator

Those speakers don't neccessarily have to be "old" as I believe that JBL still makes them to order. As a 4 ohm speaker (I thought they were 6 ohm) with sensitivity of 83, you are going to need a good amp to drive them well.

John Mil

Agent
Thanks Albert. I just saw them at my father in law's house and they are 4 ohms. The cabinets are a bit scratched and beat up. He does not have them hooked up so I don't know how they sound. He said he bought them around 1992. I just checked Altec Lansing's site and they are re-making those speakers and charging $1100 per pair. They are "made to order". They have "tweaked" them a bit and are now 6 ohm with a sensitivity of 83 db.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would see if he will let you hook them up and try them out first. And if you like what you hear then buy them. That is if your reciver can handle the impedence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks