Also getting an RP91 - quick DVD audio question... =)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dela Rosa, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Dela Rosa

Dela Rosa Auditioning

Oct 22, 2001
    Seems this is the player to get, mainly for its progressive performance and features, but I've got a quick question regarding the functionality of the DVD-Audio capability of this player.
    I know with some of the first generation DVD-Audio players the "nested" menus to select which output seemed to be an inconvenience. Does the RP91 automatically output a six channel analog signal when a DVD-Audio disk is inserted? Does it also automatically switch to the digital output if a DD5.1 or dts signal is detected?
    Also, anyone care to comment on the DVD-Audio performance?
  2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Aug 10, 2000
    I'm just trying to think about all the discs I've popped in and I believe it does automatically start playing the 6 channel surround tracks automatically if you don't intervene.
    As for the detection of the DD5.1 or DTS5.1 tracks, it does so for normal DVD-V's. The RP91 does not allow access to the DD or DTS tracks on a DVD-A from what I remember (not that I've even tried). It automatically goes into DVD-A mode when it detects it.
    As for the digital output, it does actually output digital even when DVD-A's are inserted. It just outputs a down converted (i.e. non-high resolution) digital output on most DVD-A tracks. I have found one DVD-A that allows a high resolution output (24/96). I guess it doesn't have the copy protection on.
    The sound quality is good but DVD-A is supposed to be better than CD's.
    Evidence of my obsession.
    [Edited last by PatrickM on November 14, 2001 at 08:46 PM]