What's new

Alright, what is it exactly that makes SVS subs better than the rest? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm asking because if I ever do get another sub I would most likly get an SVS sub, as just about everyone here in the forum absolutly worships them, and when someone gets one, it's cause for celebration.
Right now I have a Jensen SW-1000, and it rocks the house with nice strong, solid low end. What does an SVS sub offer that makes it so much better? Don't get too technical on me, just tell me the basics.
What is a good entry level SVS, and how much is it?

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I don't know, but I just ordered the 20-39CS and Samson S700 Amp. :D
This past summer I upgraded to a new 50H81 HDTV, Denon 3802, and Pan RP91K and removed my crappy $99 Sherwood Sub that I bought 4 years ago from the HT altogether. If the SVS sounds 1/10 as good as hyped here I'll be mighty happy.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
There's nothing magical. Ron and I just try to provide the best product we can for a reasonable cost. We also take customer support very personally. Where many manufacturers can takes days to reply(I go through this myself all the time!) to a question...Ron and I reply to 99% of our emails within 24 hours. This is usually 7 days a week too.
We're not always the right choice for the HT enthusiast..but when they do give us a chance...we like to make the most of it :)
TV

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
1 - Bang for the buck.

2 - Customer Service.

3 - Actual performance.

I was happy with my 10" 120 watter for 4 years. After I got the 20-39 CS set up with a 35 (THIRTY-FIVE!!) watt amp I was a believer.

I laid out $400 for the sub. If you are better than 60% music, go with the 25-31 CS (non-powered) and rip the amp out of that Jensen to run it for the short term. Keep your eyes open for a stereo amp with a bad channel and for cheap you have a reference sub that keeps up with the best.

Got cash?

Get one of the high output models. Not that you will ever think it is necessary.

They are THAT good.

- CM

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Tom, it sounds like you guys make a pretty impressive product, and i'm really impressed by your customer service policy. That alone would be enough to sway me into purchasing an SVS. I hate getting the run around!
Colin, I would much rather just spring for a powered model if I can afford it. What is a good, not too expensive, powered model? See, I live in an apartment with nieghbors and a fully loaded model is not necessary as I wouldn't be able to unleash the beast anyway. They havn't complained yet, and I really push my luck too.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
As far as SV's go, the 25-31PC, $669 plus S/H.
http://svsubwoofers.com/svpoweredsubs.htm
Adire Audio has a good sub, the Rava, for $399. I haven't heard it, though.
http://adireaudio.com/rpd/rava.htm
Hsu has had great reviews...
http://hsuresearch.com/
Anything else from any other company (Sony, etc.) would compare to what you already have, and wouldn't be a good use of your money. You would be better off saving up for the big boy, or making other upgrades.
Just my opinion...
Have Fun!
- CM

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
John:

It is having a couple of HT nuts and bass heads as the owners of the company. First and foremost Ron and Tom both love bass. Their subs have to pass their own ears and tests. Tom is the master tweaker when it comes to getting THE most out of a sub.

Another is they care about what their customers think of their products. It isn't this mass produced product that sets in a huge warehouse somewhere before its sold. Each is made to order one at a time.

They look for the very BEST parts they can get for not only its performance but its performance to value ratio. Then they put their own touches on these parts to tweak them to the max.

Take all of this and for the performance of these units alone they could get 5 times the amount they charge now and still sell them hand over fist. Instead they price them so people can enjoy them without breaking their bank accounts to do so.

Have you been to their site? They have all of their powered models listed with their prices. I am sure that you will find one that matches what you are looking for.

Parker

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks for the links Colin. WOW! I just came from their website, and it sold me. The next sub I get WILL be an SVS. Do they really make each sub on an order by order basis!? That's incredible to me!
After going through some of the main sub pages, I think the 25-31 CS series looks pretty cool, and I think suits my needs for my room size.
My next question is, as great as these subs are, is the jump in quality so much that it's easily noticable even at low volumes? I play my films at well below referrance level, will I hear it's benifits at these levels, or are these subs at their best when played at high volumes?

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
is the jump in quality so much that it's easily noticable even at low volumes? I play my films at well below referrance level, will I hear it's benifits at these levels, or are these subs at their best when played at high volumes?
It depends on what sub you're replacing. A quick search didn't find the Jensen SW-1000 but it did find the JS1000A which is a

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I don't usually play at anywhere near reference levels, but find I'm getting impressive amounts of bass from the SVS that I wasn't getting before.

As DVDs continue to work the 'how low can you go' theory of bass, there will be a need for subs that can dish out into the single digit Hzs. Short of a massive 18" megasub, the SVS line is the only way to really handle that. For most of us, it's the only non-boomy deep-bass alternative that makes financial sense as well.

Part of the thinking is that the DIY world has had a reputation of being able to better commercially available subs because then you don't have to deal with shipping tpo dealers and storage, which are what add to the cost of big subs, not the drivers themselves. Essentially SVS is rooted in a DIY philosophy, and being net-based and charging actual shipping direct to consumers, they are able to create an excellent product at ridiculously low cost. A lot of people have suggested SVS go public or have retail distribution, but that would just wreck what works best in their business model.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
As far as movies at low volume, it's an improvement, yes.

Music is a revelation.

I listen to -don't flame me - Gordon Lightfoot on occasion. On that "Sundown" track there is great presence and soundstage, and a nice, deep bassline that never came across like this before, and I listen at night when the wife and baby are sleeping. It's incredible at low levels.

Something else entirely at reference. Shakes the water pipes in the laundry room!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks