1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Alright LD buffs! How 'bout giving me the skinny on my player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Hoover, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Well, since so many people are asking about the quality of their LD players, I thought I would too. My player is a Denon LA-2300, purchased late '96 I believe. Due to where I live (in the sticks), it's rather difficult to do comparisons to any other players since I'm about the only one around here who has one. So how did I do? Do I have the LD equivalent to Bose or a machine that I can be proud of?

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    The LA-2300 is a clone of Pioneer's entry-level disc-flipper of the time (which I believe was the CLD-D604). I borrowed one for a few weeks back in '99 and thought it was pretty good, but a little noisy (both in terms of picture and mechanical operation). I used to own its bigger brother, the LA-3300 which was another Pioneer clone.

It's not one of the best players (a clone of an Elite model, for example), but it's certainly not a Bose either.

If Rachael B is around, I'm sure she can give you a more detailed rundown of the player.

Adam

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Tim, I've never seen that particular Denon but it's proably a Pieauhnear clone. All the Denons I've seen were Pieauhnear clones except the LA-3500 which is a Panasonic LX-900 clone. I used to have a Denon 3100 which I think is proably similar to your player, a couple of years newer than your player. It was a good player. My sister has it now. Anyway, you've got an early '90's Pioneer design player. It had been on the shelf for a couple of years when you got it. You could of done way worse! [​IMG] You could of ended up with a Sony player! Best wishes!

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Adam, I think it's a year or two older than you do. I think it's roughly equivalent to a CLD-502 or 503. Best wishes!

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    When I tried the 2300 in '99 it had been around for several years already (the retailer was practically giving them away: DVD had well and truly taken a foot-hold). I'm guessing that it was a '96 model, although it could be older; it had an AC-3 RF output but I'm not sure when these were first introduced ('94 or '95?).

Adam

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Adam, they proably added an AC-3 output to it to make it easier to sell. None of the Denon models here ever had AC-3, anyways... Their last offerings were in 1994 too. That's when the 3500 and 3100 became available. I got the 3100 cause it was way cheaper. I didn't keep the 3100 very long though. I sold it to my sister and got a 703. I switched players alot back then and always had atleast two. Geez, I've had alt of LD playes since '87! It's hard to remember them all sometimes. Best wishes!

7. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Thanks for the replies. I think the AC-3 output is factory because it is explained in the LD player manual. Not only that, but the printing for the AC-3 output on the back of the player is identical to the printing for the other outputs. In addition to that, the front of the player has a silkscreened label for the AC-3 RF output. It's definitely not an aftermarket job by the store.

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Tim, I've never seen that model. Maybe Adam is exactly right? The local Denon dealer, Statement A/V, never had that model to the best of my recollection. Non-Pioneer models with an AC-3 output are few indeed. Sure, your player is some kind of clone. Yamaha and Marantz had clones of the CLD-59. Mitsu had one of the CLD-704... Does your player have "karry-okee" functions like the CLD-604 did? Somehow, I would bet that Denon would leave that off. Well, I learned something 2-day. Best wishes!

9. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

My player doesn't have a karaoke feature - much to the relief of my friends and neighbors!