Alright, its FINALLY done, and finished.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Owen Bartley, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. Owen Bartley

    Owen Bartley Second Unit

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2002
    Messages:
    487
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yep, I finally completed my Tempest and moved 'er into place. So I found out that the Rustoleum hammered finish is a lot harder to work with than I thought, and it has some definete streaks, but I tried to make them look as much like wood grain as possible and I actually think it looks really cool. If I decided to use this finish again, I would go right to the roll-on and apply it in a grain-looking pattern. One coat, put it on thick, and fast.

    There are a few differences between the sides I used different methods on, but overall I'm happy with the way it turned out.

    My site is updated with new pics of the ~210L project. Let me know what you think!
     
  2. Adam C.

    Adam C. Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2002
    Messages:
    113
    Likes Received:
    0
    looks great!!

    comparing the hammered to the bedliner I used. the bedliner is not nearly as shiny.
     
  3. Andrew Pratt

    Andrew Pratt Producer

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 1998
    Messages:
    3,806
    Likes Received:
    0
    Owen looks good! Is there any way we can convince you to pull those main's out a little from the wall?[​IMG]
     
  4. Ken_R1

    Ken_R1 Auditioning

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2003
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    That is one nice looking subwoofer! Would you provide some more info on the construction of the feet? Me being the newbie that I am cannot quite grasp how you put them together, using the pocket holes and all.
     
  5. Owen Bartley

    Owen Bartley Second Unit

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2002
    Messages:
    487
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks everyone!

    Andrew: they actually have almost a foot of room behind them.

    Ken: all I did was cut the tapered pieces from the leftover MDF, and since my father was pretty anxious to try out his new kit we went a bit overboard on the pocket holes. Basically, there are 2 screws sunk inside the smaller one, and they go into the larger piece to make a butt joint, and that makes both sides of the 'foot' the same length. (not the clearest explanation, but if you look at the pics it should be easy to follow...). Then, both halves of the foot have one hole sunk in that allows them to screw into the bottom of the sub (I left a 3/4 inch lip on the bottom). Then, just for extra strength, we glued a little triangular bit in. And I hot-glued the strips of rubber sheet on the bottom for grip. Clear as mud! [​IMG]
     
  6. Ronnie Ferrell

    Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Messages:
    355
    Likes Received:
    0
    Does your dad have the Kreg pocket hole jig? If so did you have to pre-drill a pilot hole in the piece the screw bites into? Kreg tools says you don't have to. I am just wondering if it works that way with MDF.

    There is a Woodworking show coming next weekend and I am thinking about getting the Kreg jig.


    Ronnie
     
  7. Brian Bunge

    Brian Bunge Producer

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2000
    Messages:
    3,716
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ronnie,

    I saw the Kreg jig at the show in Atlanta last year and it was pretty cool. For most uses I'd just as soon use a biscuit joiner. But you'd still need to use clamps with biscuits. Not that that's a problem for you! [​IMG]
     
  8. Owen Bartley

    Owen Bartley Second Unit

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2002
    Messages:
    487
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ronnie, I'm not sure if its a Kreg or not, but I'll find out. He did get it at a woodworking show that was in TO a couple weeks ago. And we didn't need to predrill at all, we just used some coarse (I think drywall) screws and it worked like a charm.
     

Share This Page