Alright, it's buying time and need a little advice please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Morgan, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Mike_Morgan

Mike_Morgan Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I have been reading on here for a couple of months now and I'm ready to make my receiver upgrade purchase. I had my heart set on the 3802 and was going to purchase from 6Ave today or tomorrow. Now for my questions...

With all the problems with 3802s popping up around here, do you guys reccommend that I stick with my decision to buy it? Some of the problems seem to come from both unauthorized AND authorized dealers, such as 6Ave.

Should I step down and buy the 2802 from 6Ave and put the money saved toward my next upgrade? Do you think that there are any less problems with the 2802s that with the 3802s?

OR, are there any other comparable recievers out there that I should consider? I was looking at Marantz also, but they seem to be more tailored to the music listener. I will be doing roughly 80% TV/movies and 20% music.

Thanks for any input HTF! What is everyone's real opinion on the 3802 troubles that have been brought up, and would it be worth it to just go ahead and get it to see if I come out with a good one or not. Thanks.

Mike

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Mike,
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. The 3802 is one of the most popular receivers so when there is a problem, it gets mentioned. There are tons more happy owners who haven't had problems, just nobody starts threads saying their 3802 is working fine. I've owned 3 denon receivers, including the 3802 and never had a problem. I also do some work on the side for a custom installer who is a denon dealer and he has never had a problem with denon receivers.
    I would recommend buying from an authorized dealer for peace of mind.

3. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Mike,
    I bought my 3802 from 6ave. I've had it for about 3 weeks and couldn't be happier. As you know 6ave is an authorized dealer. They also offer a 30 day return policy.

J

4. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

I think its mass hysteria against the 3802 (since its so popular) that anything happens and its assumed that it must be a problem with the unit even though the problem might be elsewhere. After the 'other' problem gets fixed it never gets reported here and so the list of supposedly bad units keeps growing.

5. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Since I too own the Denon 3802 I would recommend it. I would also push it for the first couple of weeks to make sure that every thing is working fine. The last thing anyone wants is to have to unplug all the connections to replace a receiver again. It's fine doing it for an upgrade [​IMG] but it sucks if it is for a faulty replacement [​IMG] .
    Hey Brian mine is working fine[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Michael

6. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

7. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I bought mine from a non auth dealer and it had worked perfectly. great buy.

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Although I wouldn't worry too much about buying the 3802, but, if I personally was buying, I'd get it from an authorized dealer, just for my peace of mind.