1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Alright Guys I need Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    It's come time that I actually consider calibrating my HT's Audio gear. This is my most ignored section of my HT. My Mits was calibrated with excellence by Gregg Loewen. I've always beenstymied when it came to properly calibrating my audio gear. All the Setting on the Sony STRDE925was a mystery. I tweaked them by ear, but no more. I realize I'll have to go out and spend the $40 to pick up the analog RS Meter. I own Both Video Essentials and AVIA, whichwould you all recommendto do the job? My System consists of the aforementioned Sony. For Mains and Rears I have Optimus LS10's Stuffed with Audio Fiber. My Center is the Optimus LS55and the Sub is an Energy 8. I know Meager but it sounds ok for movies if a bit lacking for music applications. Any recommendations ongetting Started? I have the Speakers set to small,but when it comes to all those KHZ steps Yikes.

Also on a side comment I've been thinking of replacing the Sony. I works OK but may not have the cleanest sound musically. I still may stay with A Receiver but one with room for expansion like the Outlaw 1050. I'm not overly concerned with Prologic 2 as most of my HT viewing is DVD's.

Can I Expect much of a difference?

Any recommendations to any of this to get me off my Lazy *** and calibrating my audio is appreciated.

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I picked up the Radio Shack Analog at lunch today. Tonight I'm gonna give it a go if I can figure it all out. My Sony 925 keeps DB levels of all speakers. I imagine I should be setting all these at 0db? where do the Khz steps come in line Mid Treble 1.2 etc?

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi David!! Thanks for the kind words

3 things I would consider doing relating to your audio:

1. Dbl calibration is essential.

2. Try to move your speakers out from in the front wall. This will greatly improve your imaging, etc

3. Replace your sub as soon as you can afford it. consider Adire RAVA, DArman, or the SVS line. All will offer a HUGE difference.

Gregg

4. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Hi Dave,
    FWIW, I am one of the few who kind of like the idea of using my internal test tones to calibrate my system. Something bothers me about using external software to calibrate my system, which already has the tool to do it...
    nevermind, that's my soapbox....
    For Avia, Do a search for..hold on, i'll do it...
    Here you go, I believe Guy developed AVIA:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=12228
    Here's another couple of links re: bass mgt. basically, I found calibrating my speakers was simple. It's the sub that really needs some attention:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...pril-2000.html
    http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Interface.html
    Maybe that'll help. Good Luck.

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Thanks Steve, Gregg I think you meant DB calibration I picked up a SLM from Radio Shack today. I've been thinking that putting the Speaker in the cabinets, while looking Cool , was a mistake. When I Calibrate tonight I'm going to first try moving the speakers out in from of the unit. I'm wondering what would be the effect of raising the speakers off the floor maybe to the same levels of the Surrounds. I am going to be replacing the Sub eventually. I'm also thinking about building a pair of Speakers. Perhaps the Adair Kit 281's