What's new

Alright guys, help push me over the fence about 'ANGEL' season 1. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alright all you Angel fans, and I know there are a lot here, time to mount up and tell me why I should just break down and buy season 1. I am aware that it's a quality show, hence the discussion in the TV programming area, but I have only really seen the crossover episodes from Buffy and a couple episodes here and their.
I spent this past weekend going through season 3 of Buffy and I would like to continue following Angel, Cordiellia (even though she's a bitch most of the time but when the chips are down she's alright):), and Wesley Windom Price, but I want to make sure that the show remains consistantly entertaining before I committ to buying the whole series in addition to Buffy.
I really don't know why I never followed Angel, it stands to reason that I would since i've been a fan of Buffy since day 1, but curiously I never really committed to it. Go figure.
One ep I did just love was the crossover with Buffy when Angel became human once again, that ep broke my heart as much and as deep as any Buffy ep I have seen.
Which season is that ep in?
Right now i'm leaning more towards getting the first season, I just need a little extra nudge to knock me over. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That is a season 1 episode, 106 I believe.

Do you need a reason other than Lord Whedon comandeth?

Season 1 establishes the universe, Season 2 sets up the macrostory and season 3 blows it wide open with season 4 building on the shitstorm of 3

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Seeason 1 one Angel also has the Faith episodes in it. If you need more reason than that to shell out, I don't know what we can do for you.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I spent this past weekend going through season 3 of Buffy and I would like to continue following Angel, Cordiellia (even though she's a bitch most of the time but when the chips are down she's alright), and Wesley Windom Price
Actually, Cordelia grows up quite a bit in Angel Season 1. By the time the show reached its 3rd and 4th years, she bore almost no resemblance to her Buffy counterpart.

As far as convincing you to get the 1st season of Angel on DVD, like I said in another thread, it's easily the weakest season in the series to date. That being said, it does set up the excellent 2nd and 3rd seasons, and this year's episodes have been solid thus far. So overall, it is worth owning(especially with Fox's ridiculously low price).

The episodes that'll make it worth your while are:

"City Of" - The pilot. A good, strong start for the show and introduces Doyle and Wolfram & Hart.

"Lonely Heart" - A solid monster-of-the-week episode with the first appearance of Kate Lockley.

"In The Dark" - Spike/Oz crossover.

"I Will Remember You" - Buffy crossover. You know what happens in this episode.

"Hero" - Angel loses a close friend. I won't say who in case you don't know.

"Eternity" - A mediocre episode until Angelus makes an appearance.

"Five By Five" - Faith comes to town. She's hired to kill Angel, but you'll never see the ending coming.

"Sanctuary" - Buffy follows Faith to L.A., and the fit really hits the shan when she find her with Angel.

"War Zone" - The introduction of Gunn. The badass Gunn, before he became a pansy in the later seasons.

"To Shanshu In L.A." - The season finale. Angel learns his fate, and Wolfram & Hart resurrect someone from his past.

So there you go. 10 episodes out of 22 that are worth watching. Not a bad ratio, IMO.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
All I needed to convince me to get Angel Season 1 was the season finale of Buffy Season 2. I'm actually going crazy because season 3 is sold out everywhere here.

I only worry about knowing which episodes of which series to watch first. I have a feeling I'll be sitting on Angel Season 1 until I have Buffy Season 4 in my hands.

Mark Lemmond

Stunt Coordinator
I really think the pilot for this show is one of the best episodes of the season. It sets the tone of how the show will be very well especially the ending. I have season one on vhs which I taped during its run I watched the first few the other day and can't wait for the dvd set to hit the shelves.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I posted a thread similar to this a couple weeks ago and everyone convinced me to get Angel season 1. Having finished watching Buffy season 3 last week, I'm definitely eager for more. Angel season 1 will satisfy my cravings until Buffy season 4 comes out in June.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks guys, I think i've heard enough, i'm gonna pick it up. :emoji_thumbsup:
Adam,
your post in particular is what I was looking for, one that peaked my interest and teased me at the same time, i'm definitely intrigued.
Thanks again. :)

Keith Helms

Stunt Coordinator
I almost wish they'd skip broadcast and go straight to DVD. I just noticed my WB station has moved Angel from Sunday to Wednesday and I'm hoping I didn't miss any episodes!

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
It wasn't just your local WB affiliate -- Angel's new home, at least for the time being, is Wednesday at 9 PM.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
People! People! The best reason to pick up season 1 of Angel is that it allows you to build on Buffy Season Three without having to muddle through "Beer Bad" or any episodes prominently featuring Riley Finn.
:)
Regards,

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Adam, you forgot a few episodes:
Rm w/a Vu: Dennis is cool! That's all.
Somnambulist: Good Angelus backstory
Expecting: Ok, not excellent, but I just love hearing Angel say "I really don't like it when people shoot me!"
I've Got You Under My Skin: I love the twist on the possessed theme.
Blind Date: Development of Lindsey.
--Anders

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Indeed, another good reason

Copious amounts of Dennis! That's the huge thing that's been missing this year,

Cordy lost her apartment, so no more Dennis. *SOB*

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone gets hold of this set before the release date could they possibly reveal if it retains the "Previously.." intros absent from the UK release?

Sanctuary is a good episode to check, as it should feature a lengthy "Previously.." introduction including clips from Buffy.

Many thanks,

David

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Seeing as how the BUFFY sets have been identical to the R2 sets in every respect, I have no reason to believe that the ANGEL sets will be any different. I haven't missed the "Previously..." segment, but then again, I'm watching the shows for the first time on DVD. I can see how completists might be a lil' miffed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks