Alright everyone put their heads together.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chas Gorton, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Chas Gorton

Chas Gorton Auditioning

I want to build a HTPC that I also want to use as a digital video and audio editor, game play. I hope to be buying a Pany AE100 to be used as my projector for both HT and Computer. Some of the things I've had in mind of using are :
    Case : Nikao Noblesse Case (400 watt power surply)Link
    Sound Card : Hercules Game Theater XP Brown Box Link
    Video : Can any card support the crazy WVGA of the AE100 (858x484 pixels)
    Memory : atleast 1 GB DDRAM
    Mother Board/CPU : Dual 1.5 GHz or a 2 Ghz? Whats a good board to use?
    Storage : 80 Gb and adding a second as soon as it's needed
    Also need some sort of video in. Feel free to add any information you guys have. All of the hardware mention above can change and is not set in stone by any means.

2. Chas Gorton

Chas Gorton Auditioning

any one want to say any thing?

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Wow what a case! Looks like something you'd see in the Batcave, I like!!

As for DV editing, I use an ADS Pyro PlatinumDV package. It's about $250 online and comes with Premiere 6.0 full and a nice Firewire card. If you're looking for something with analog ins I'd tell you to stay away from Pinnacle. Although the dc30 (?) has firewire AND analog inputs the company is really bad on releasing drivers and I've heard many horror stories about that card and XP.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Cases are personal preference but I've never liked the look of the Noblesse.

Do you have an AMD/Intel preference?

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Here's some advice:
    Get a Seagate Barricuda IV hard drive as they are the quietest on the market.
    Get a single processor system since I am sure you won't reap the benefits of a dually.
    Buy an overclockers motherboard and a 1.8A Intel processor and overclock it up to 2.6 ghz.
    Put a name brand cooling unit like an Alpha that utilizes a quieter fan.
    Use Panaflo L1A as silent fans for your computer case.
    Buy quality mushkin or crucial ram that will be stable in an overclocked environment.
    Oh and the Hercules GTXP is an excellent 6.1 pre pro. I use it and the sound is comparable to my Pioneer integrated receiver. I can't wait till they develop a 7.1 driver for it.
    Need a video card for gaming too? The new Geforce4 Ti4200 and Ti4600 will be at the top with the retail Radeon 8500 128mg not far behind.
    Stable Motherboards to consider?
    Gigabyte 8SRX $74 Audio, 6pci
    P4B266-C $117 6pci
    P4S333 $130 audio
    Questions? http://www.anandtech.com/
    Where to buy? http://www.pricewatch.com/ + http://www.resellerratings.com/
    http://www.Newegg.com is my favorite online computer reseller.

6. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

If you do go for a dually, the motherboards can be quite deep, and I've found with my midi tower case that I can't put longer drives (CDROMs, caddys) into some of the lower bays as they hit the long motherboard.
    I'm running dual P3-866s, and it's good if you have several applications open at once.
    Software like XP Pro, Photoshop and Premiere are written to take advantage of dual processors (XP Home does not recognise dual CPUs). If you want some more info on dually setups then have a look here

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

You might want to think again on XP.

After trying many different programs I have not been able to burn a cd or DVD in 4 months!

8. Chas Gorton

Chas Gorton Auditioning

Thanks guy you help me out alot.

9. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Dump XP, use Win2K Pro.

10. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

I agree with using ATI as your capture card. I currently use the ATI All in Wonder which also includes a TV tuner. (I edit audio & video, and I use the computer as a TIVO like system.) Also consider a sound card with a digital output connection.

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I think you're going the wrong way trying to serve so many masters with one machine. From personal experience, if you really plan to go editing, gameing and HTPC on one machine- at the very least set up 3 partitions with triple booting.

Also, you'll have to get multiple videocards to do everything "best". ATI is the best card for HTPC (Although the 8500, suggested above, is buggy), while GeForce is best for gaming.

If you really want to do everything- I'd suggest having both vid cards (but with the added problems of extra PCI cards and resource sharing which will trip up smooth HTPC playback- I'd just build a second machine)! You won't need 1/4 the horsepower you're talking about for HTPC- so I'd just build a secondary dedicated machine for HTPC use...

Heck, I do even semi-pro audio editing and mixing on my desktop, and I have a dual boot for it as "audio PC" and for "desktop PC".

With all the problems getting a HTPC to work rock solid and streamlined- adding in tons of extra devices and bullshit will probably bring overall performance and stability down to the point that it's not worth doing.

-Vince