What's new

Alright, Defend Multi-Channel Music for Me (1 Viewer)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Mike --

[suck up] I personally always learn something listening to you [/suck up] so don't stop.

I have a feeling that when all is said and done, MOST recordings should remain in 2-ch. I'd like to see most albums released on 2-ch SACD hybrids. With their ability to have a CD layer, I don't see a need for standard CD's to exist once a hybrid SACD version is out there (for a reasonable price, of course).

Multi-channel releases should be fewer and further between, well thought out, and respectful of the material. And the good ones will make me smile.

But whatever you do, enjoy the music!
Can't argue with that.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

In your original cited example, you made no mention of the recording conditions. I'm glad you're clarifying now.

We will have to disagree on mixes sucking eggs, and it's not like every stereo mix is a work of art either. Quality stereo mixes were a learned thing, and multi-channel is in the early phases.

Moving on to recordings themselves.....Not only are most musicians not in rooms together.... there usually isn't one single start to finish track on there. It's all pieced together from a number of takes, with punch-ins as needed. I wonder how many recordings are made where the various session players don't even enter the same studio?

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Wayne,

Your complaints are mostly about mixing decisions, not necessarily about the format.

Instruments are hard panned into speakers to lock them to a point in space... just as they would be in stereo. In fact, if you want a very wide soundstage, you're going to have to have some instruments hard panned into one of the speakers for a stereo presentation.

Regards,

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Great thread.

Never been a musician, I'm easy to please and enjoy both stereo & multi-channel. My eyes and ears open wide when I hear stuff that I thought sounded good for years, now sounding more clean, brighter, bassier, better soundstage and just more enjoyable. I know it can only get better because my equipment is far from perfection and the re-mixing and re-mastering process will continue to evolve over the years.

One comment I have on multi-channel is this. Of the combined 30 or 40 DVD-A's & SACD's I have, the additional channels seem to assist but never dominate a performance. I like that and don't find it to be 'gimmicky'.

A DVD-A I like but don't understand why they did different things is Rumors. I don't remember the actual tracks, but one song was done with Buckinham's voice up front, Christy & Stevies' voices from the back then other tracks had lead & background voices all up front. I chalked it up to them experimenting with the format.

Speakers... I have a hodge-podge of HT/stereo stuff and found much better sound when I added the Outlaw ICBM. Why can't you use good but dinky rears as long as you dial in the crossover and send the low end to the sub?

Bring on A Night At The Opera!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Strangely enough my favorite multichannel mix of the 20 or so I've been exposed to is one of the first: Paul McCartney's "Band On THe Run" Quadrophonic. It may have something to do with the music being incredible. The Sting DTS CDs are also exceptional as a rule.

NP: Dave Matthews Band: Crash

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Excuse me for butting in, but why must people talk about listening to music as if they are going to a concert? Haven't you ever had a jam session in your living room? If you haven't, you are definitely missing out on something very special.

When I play some music on my system I'm not going to a concert hall. I'm in my home and I'm in effect inviting the musicians into my living room. If the producer wants to place the musicians all around me in an intimate setting, that's cool - I can dig it. Or if the producer decides to put everyone in front of me like on a stage, that's ok too. A multi-channel mix is a tool that can be used to help enhance the mood that the artist is trying to create in the listener. Some mixers do it better than others, but it is a new technique that will most likely improve as more folks use it and find out what works and what doesn't.

Perhaps we can have multiple mixes so we can choose the one we like best? Hey, if we can choose between English, Spanish, and French audio tracks on DVDs, then why not the mix?

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Mono = Viewscreen

Stereo = Viewscreen with some depth perception

Multichannel = Holodeck

Well, not just yet, but that's the idea. Right now, however, the holodeck is more like a cardboard diorama instead of good 3D.

-JNS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks