What's new

Already own X-Box - Now GC or PS2? (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi, everyone!

I've owned an X-Box for a few months now and have enjoyed it immensely. I am now itching to buy a new gaming system, and I can't seem to make up my mind on which one. I'm looking for some compelling arguments for the GC and PS2. I have thoroughly enjoyed Square's games in the past and would like to play Kingdom Hearts and FFX, but I've heard rumblings of Square and Nintendo getting in bed together. I also, however, am dying to play Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil for GC. Please give me your arguments. Enlighten someone who has been out of the gaming loop for a few months due to the time required to fully enjoy the wonder that is the X-Box. Thanks for any suggestions!

Rob

VinT

Agent
I own all 3 systems and enjoy them all very much. I would recommend the GameCube. The PS2, although an excellent system, is starting to show its age. Metroid Prime and Zelda are reason enough to buy a cube.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I'd go with GC as well. Most of the big name games will be across all platforms so you'll get those PS2 ports on either the GC or Xbox sooner or later. Plus you would get the strong first party Nintendo offerings.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
It all depends on what games coming out in the next few months are on your priority list. There are no games coming to PS2 this season on my priority list that will not also be on other systemes. I own all three, so I can be picky which version to get. Most will argue that GTA VIce City will be the killer app for PS2 this season, but that is about it.
I say go with the cube. You have Mario Sunshine and Star Fox out now. And Metroid is coming...

I think I need to repeat that, because it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling...

METROID IS COMING!
That alone is reason to get a cube. Also, early next year, there is Zelda!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The PS2, although an excellent system, is starting to show its age
..tsk tsk tsk...Sean,Sean ,Sean....Vin..old? Come on guys work with me here!:D:
Lord of the Rings The Two Towers 10/22
Grand Theft Auto Vice City 10/28
Contra Shattered Soldier 10/29
Suikoden III /29
Red Faction 2 10/30
WWE Smackdown Shut your Mouth 11/11
Shinobi 11/12
Ratchet and Clank 11/15
Rygar the Legendary Adventure 11/15
Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness 11/19
The Sims 1/4
The Getaway 1/15
Dark Cloud 2 1/15
.hack 2/3
Star Ocean III Till the End of Time 2/15
Devil May Cry 2
Red Dead Revolver
...and more
I think the PS2 has quite a bit to offer those past GTA Vice City my friends.Though the technology of the PS2 may be "older" than that of the Xbox and the GC. I get knocked on my ass more and more after seeing some of the amazing things developers are doing with Sony's "workhorse" (Have you seen Devil May Cry 2?).
No recommendation from this man concerning the thread topic. I own all four consoles and I say buy em all! You will be one happy camper at the end of the day. I just wanted to correct an egregious oversight by one or two of my fellow HTF'ers:D

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I'd vote PS2 (I also own an Xbox.) I've yet to buy a GCN - but I will when Skies of Arcadia Legends ships next spring. But I guess it goes down to what kind of games you like. Overall though, the PS2 has a deeper library and certainly has more variety.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
It's a real toss up. You'll have more titles to choose from on the PS2, but you'll have 4 or 5 first party Nintendo titles to choose from on the Gamecube, in addition to 1080, Metroid, Zelda, and the Nintendo games that are already out for the system.
I'm just glad I have all three so I don't have to worry about your decision anymore. :)
Glen

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Nothing against the PS2, glad to have mine. But this holiday season the GC is what will be getting all my attention, since it was neglected most of last year.

ChrisV

Second Unit
Hard to say... I don't own a GameCube, but it's difficult to argue against it with the games that are starting to come out. One thing I will say is that I've been playing my PS2 more than any other system for the last month or two. There are just so many good games out for it now. And Grand Theft Auto is coming out soon!

What I would do in your position is look at the list of (exclusive) games for each machine and decide which ones you'd enjoy more. Go where the software goes.

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
GameCube!

Metroid, Eternal Darkness, Rogue Squadron, Mario Sunshine, Res Evil series, zelda, 1080 snowboarding, waverace, star fox, f zero, smashbrothers, etc, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks