Alpha Video - Quality of DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barrie Maxwell, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Barrie Maxwell

Barrie Maxwell Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have any experience with the DVDs put out by Alpha DVD. The company appears to specialize in public domain titles and it has a lot of the usual suspects available. But it also offers a lot of neat stuff like various East Side Kids titles, some B westerns and serials, and so on. What's the quality, especially of the latter stuff, like?

Barrie

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Barrie,
    I don't have any Alpha serials, but I do own a few of their "B" horror titles. The quality is hit and miss; THE MONSTER WALKS and THE DEATH KISS look pretty good for independent cheapies from the early thirties, but THE APE MAN(1943) looks pretty tatty, and sounds even worse.But they are very inexpensive-I get them for less than seven bucks-so the risk isn't too bad. I've heard that their PHANTOM CREEPS two disc set is pretty good, but I haven't gotten around to purchasing it yet.

3. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

I have many titles on Alpha.

Some are not too bad, some are fair and others are pretty weak. If you expect the worst, you will generally be happy. If you are looking for high quality transfers, then stay away. Some prints have jumps in them while a few are so dark, it's hard to pick out the actors. But they have many titles that are not available elsewhere and you can buy them direct from their website for $5.00 each. (www.oldies.com) They are releasing titles at a frantic pace, usually around 20 a month. And I think they are the second best public domain company for DVD's (behind Roan) which isn't saying too much but it is a slight plus in their favor.

They have some Sherlock Holmes and some pretty rare horror titles. And a slew of East Side Kids. Plus recently they have been releasing some nifty 50's sci-fi cheesers.

The best thing about them is the covers. They are very striking for the most part. I would never recommend anyone buying a DVD for the cover but we all know how we like good packaging.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"Algiers" has the sound from another movie playing for several minutes, and an entire shipment of "The 3rd Man" have a Vietnam documentary on them instead. Doesn't give me too much faith in this company.

5. Barrie Maxwell

Barrie Maxwell Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses so far. Can anyone comment specifically on the quality of the East Side Kids discs?

Barrie