Alpha PAL8045 & MOBO?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martice, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Thanks to a lot of the helpful information from this forum, I've now made up my mind on what processor I will use(AMD XP1600-AMD1900) as well as what cooling system I will use as well(Alpha PAL8045). My original post stated that I want to build a VERY quiet music jukebox that will be going in my listening room.

I am now trying to locate a dependable motherboard that will be able to house the Alpha PAL8045 heat sink without modification. I was just about sold on the Asus A7V-K266E but according to the Alpha web site it would take some modification to the heat sink inorder to fit it to the Asus board. This mod will also mean the end of your warranty.

Anyone else know of any boards that will house the PAL8045 without the need to modify the heatsink?

I am looking at the Soyo Dragon but I'm not quite sure just yet. I am not against bang for the buck suggestions as well. Once again, this PC is just being used as a high quality, high volume CD juke box.

Thanks

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

The Abit KR7A will fit it (KT266A chipset). Actually, I think you'll find more boards that do fit large HSFs than don't.

If this machine is only going to be used as an MP3 jukebox you don't need the kind of power you're planning on putting in this thing. You could save a lot of money going with a really cheap motherboard (ECS, Shuttle, etc.) and dropping the CPU down to an older Thunderbird or Duron.

3. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Camp,

I agree with almost all of what you said. If it is going to be a jukebox you want stability. I have had varying luck with stabilty from cheap motherboards.

So, get a midlevel motherboard with a lower processor and you will save a bundle and be fine.

Jon

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

The box that I plan to use is not for MP3's. Actually. I plan to load all of my CD's into to this big hard drive I'm planning to put in this PC and place my actual cd's in storage. I don't mind having a "over built" computer if it means in the future if I should go all the way with a HTPC and want to flex a little more I'm not as limited.

I can see that this cooling system is going to take a little more patience to match to the proper motherbaord.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Hang out here for a while:
    http://www.amdmb.com/
    They have forums dedicated to most makers of AMD motherboards. You'll learn some pretty usefull stuff there.