Alpha noirs with good transfers?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Cheese, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese Stunt Coordinator

I posted this over at DVDtalk but didn't get much of a response so I figured I'd try here:

I know that for the most part Alpha's transfers tend to run from semi-watchable to terrible, but there are occasionally exceptions. A year or so ago I saw someone mention at the HTF that Alpha's transfer of Impact was basically on par with the more expensive Image (I think) one, so I went ahead and ordered it and was happy with it and glad I didn't pay the extra $10-15 for the other version. I've read recently that Alpha's version of the Big Combo has a good picture as well so I just went ahead and ordered that at DDD (hopefully soon I'll see if it's true). So I was wondering if any of Alpha's other noirs have pretty good presentations. Anyone who has any of them have any information to share?

2. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hi Chris,

I have most, if not all of the Alpha noir titles. Initially, I tried to stick with the Image/Kino/Roan versions whenever possible. Beyond those other labels, the Alpha version is probably the best we're ever going to see, particularly the PRC titles - especially in light of the fact these are only $5 bucks a pop (I can't rent a movie here for that amount). These are certainly hit and miss and my expectations aren't unrealistic. I usually place 3 or 4 orders a year with oldies.com and take advantage of their $5.00 off savings with larger orders. In fact, just last week I ordered and I'm still waiting for:

The Bigamist
    Alimony
    Jigsaw
    Trapped
    Woman On The Run
    Port Of New York
    Big Town After Dark
    Double Cross
    Crime, Inc.
    Basketball Fix, The

If there is ever anything you want checked, just let me know.

3. Chris Cheese

Ok, can you comment on any of the following (I realize you haven't gotten some of these yet):

Fear In the Night
    Jigsaw
    The Second Woman
    Trapped
    Woman on the Run

Also if you have any to recommend that aren't bad, or even (to get off the software aspect and slide towards the movie discussion) any that you would recommend based on the quality of the film that are lesser-knowns that I probably haven't heard of.

4. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

I'm a bit of an Alpha-holic myself. Their print of "The Second Woman" is quite nice. Lots of nice atmosphere in the movie, although I never quite warmed up to the film itself. "Port of New York" is a particularly nifty movie, with a reasonably serviceable print (although I seem to recall a few minor 'tape' glitches). Alpha's "Too Late for Tears" is from a very below-par print. A real eyesore. Just last night I viewed their release of "The Bigamist," which looked okay... probably about as good as when I first saw it on tv about 25 years ago. Didn't know if it was technically regarded as a noir, but it undeniably exudes a familiar noirish milieu. A low-key but interesting flick.

I'm also curious about Alpha's print of "Woman on the Run." That's a film I've never seen. Also, I hope their print of "Trapped" is good. Over the years, I've only seen it looking a bit murky, and I'd like to revisit in a better presentation.

5. Chris Cheese

Just a note. I just received the Alpha version of the Big Combo and I haven't watched the entire thing yet, but some spot checking shows that it's a pretty good transfer. Definitely public domain, but much better than most PD transfers.