Alpha A/V + Denon 1802 (cheap HT)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vasanth B, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,
    After much consideration, I think I have settled on my first home theater setup. I've decided to get a Denon 1802 over the Onkyo 595 because of the 5 ch. stereo mode which I've heard in person and like it for music better than DPL II. Outlaw 1050 is out because I want DPL II for VCDs and cable TV.
    Though I will be using the system mostly for movies and TV, I want to get as musical a system as possible. That's why I am shying away from the HTD Level 3s though I understand that they are a great value.
    I was going for a nOrh setup but the speakers are too much for my limited budget. I've read alot on the PSB Alpha A/Vs and they seem to be getting great reviews. They are discontinued but Yawa has a set for $482 which I think is a great deal. Many refer to their sound as "smooth" and laid-back which I think will pair up well with the slightly brighter Denon amps. I have some Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s serving wannabe-HT duty while I build my system. These are much too bright, especially on music with horns. I'm going to demo some PSBs at my local dealer but I wanted to get opinions first.
    As for a sub I was thinking of the Adire Rava but I may go for the Sony WM-40 and try to improve the sound a bit with the poly-fill trick. Will the Rava sound that much better? (enough to justify the price difference?) Total I am looking at about $1350 above setup with Rava vs. $1150 for a Sony WM-40. Any thoughts?

2. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Vasanth,
    I cannot comment on the denon or the subs but I will give you 2 thumbs up for the PSB alpha Av's I have 2 sets and I was very surprised by the performance of these speakers... a great deal! ( I paid 150$ cdn for each pair!)
    good luck sounds like you are on the way to a great ht
    Miles
    ------------------
    Miles
    DarkSide Member since(93)

3. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the response. I really want to audition these speakers or similar PSBs at my local dealer now. Anyone else?