Alot of sub noise please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason-Pro, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Jason-Pro

Jason-Pro Stunt Coordinator

well this is a problem with my fathers HT when everything is either on or off the subwoofer has a constant humming and sometimes its loud sometimes you cant really hear it. please help me with this problem its a decent kenwood reciever (few years old) and the sub is hooked up w/ AR pro series cable and splitter.(yes its hooked up in the right direction with ariws pointing from reciever to subwoofer)

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Have you tried reversing the arrows? (think outside the box) [​IMG]
    Well since the subwoofer hums whether it's on or off, have you checked if it hums when connected to the receiver?
    If it still hums then maybe try plugging it into another rooms electric socket and see if it still hums. (Find out if the noise is power related)

3. David-TF

David-TF Agent

Sounds like a ground loop. Try a three prong to two prong cheater plug and if the hum goes away you have a ground loop probally caused by a cable tv or dbs system connected to your tv. This is only a temporary fix and you should purchase a ground loop isolator. Hope this solves your problem[​IMG]

4. Jason-Pro

well actually the cable goes right under our cable box power thing (to send more power through the cable)
    could it be the problem going over power wires etc ?
    if so how do i fix it

5. David-TF

David-TF Agent

Did you try the 3 to 2 prong? if so did the hum go away?

6. Jason-Pro

YESS !!!! took me 20 mins to find one but it worked !!
    so the cheater plug worked

please tell me what a ground loop isolator is and how much they cost.

7. Jason-Pro

will this lil setup be good for the day my parents are having a football party (packers)and he usualy likes to crank it up

8. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

9. David-TF

David-TF Agent

With a three to two prong cheater plug you are elimanating the ground from the unit. with a ground loop isolater it breaks the ground loop by using a transformer to completely isolate the singal from the ground connection. Jason-Pro how is your sub connected to your reciever? If you are using a rca type connection from your reciever to your sub and your reciever is plugged into your outlet w/ a three prong connection you will be alright using the 3 to 2 cheater plug as for the rca interconect from your sub to your reciever will act as the ground. If you want to go the ground loop isolater route, they cost around $100 and any stereo store should have them or you can buy online at places like audio advisor.