Almost There... more questions....

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris KAudio, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Chris KAudio

Chris KAudio Stunt Coordinator

Moving into new apartment in less than 3 weeks.

Athena F2's for my fronts, Athena ASC1 for Center Channel, Bose Cube Speakers on stands for my satellites.

HK 230 Receiver (link:

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/QuickSt...0RearPanel.pdf )

Question: I want to get the best quality picture and sound for my components. I will have a DVD player, VHS Player, XBOX, Satellite Receiver, and obviously the Receiever.

I have never used optical or digital audio before, so would like some info on what components are able to use that and where to buy them.

Should I just use Component Cabling for everything (except vhs obviously)?

-Chris

2. Chris KAudio

Chris KAudio Stunt Coordinator

bump... if no one responds by this afternoon Im going to post in a different forum

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Don't be so impatient. Use the search function, these questions have been asked a thousand times.

Anyway . . .

Component cables will give you the best available video. The digital audio connection is mandatory to get DD 5.1 and/or DTS. Without it you only get Pro-Logic at best. Use either the optical or digital coax, they will sound identical, IMHO. Some say they hear a difference, but take that with a grain of salt. You can spend as much as you want on a digital cable. I say buy an optical that is sturdy (Radio Shack for about $14) or a 75 Ohm video cable for the coax. Don't spend extra for the "Digital" coax, it's just a video cable with a marketing blurb. If you like spending a lot of money on cables, you can spend hundreds, but these are the basics.