What's new

Almost Suicidal !! - Help... (1 Viewer)

Ricardo_Mo

Auditioning
Ok where to start.. our great room is around 16x16. I have a 32" Sony WEGA. Not HD. I have $1,200 to spend on a receiver, speakers and DVD. You guys are amazing !! I have read for hours and come to realize I don't know in many cases what your talking about.. distortion, switchover, crossover etc. So, to be brief I am lost. My wife almost made me buy a Yamaha HTR 5550 with Boston Acoustics speakers (C5's (2) & C6's (2) & a Center channel, sub for $999. Sounded nice but the sales person was eager to make the sale, too eager!! We will use the system for music 50% and movies 50%. Looking for good robust system for the money. I have listened to several systems but I never feel I get a good side by side.

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but after spending well over 100 hours reading,driving,listening and taking notes I will send the provider of comprehensive advice .. 4 tickets to Sea World/Busch Gardens. Now can you tell I'm desperate!!
I need your best advice on:

Receiver:________ Currently own an Onkyo (4yrs-in basement)
Speakers:________ Own Definitive Technology (Basement)
DVD:___________ Sony DVP S560D will be in basement
Looking for 5.1 or 6.1 didn't like any HT in a box although I thought that would just be easier...

We want to leave basement components alone. Will upgrade receiver down there in a year or so. Not looking for floor standing speakers. Not a refined audiophile as you can tell. Just can't trust Best But/Circuit City sales people. My almost purchase was at Ultimate Electronics in St. Louis. Any help would be truly appreciatted....

Ludwig Crumb

Agent
Well, some of the forum budget favorites (as you must have read) are
DVD: PANNY RP82
RECEIVER: HK520
BUDGET SPEAKERS: JBL N-SERIES

Not sure what to recommed so far as a sub, because all the commercial models worth the money will put you over your budget.
DIY would be the best way to go on a sub if you are technically inclined. Lots of advice on those on HTF.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Richard. Welcome to HTF!
Even if the sales person was eager, he may have been giving you good advice. Dont reject it out of hand. Yamah is a good name and the Boston speakers are not bad.
You can spend as little as $600 for say the Kenwood HTB-509 system that has in a box:
- Receiver
- 5 speakers
- Self Powered sub
- 5 disk Progressive Scan DVD player
Kenwood is quietly trying to buy the market with budget prices for fairly decent quality electronics.
Since you already have a basement system, you actually are a step-up over many new users.
Wait...your wife wanted to buy the Yamah/Boston system? Do you know how rare that is? A HT-encouraging spouse? Does she have a sister?
I've got a suggestion: spend $199 for an XBox system. It includes the DVD option and you get 2 games with it. Now you can move the Sony DVD player upstairs and leaves you $1000 for a receiver/speakers. (or put the XBox upstairs so you can play with it :) )
One thing about speakers: they are a matter of taste. Just like ice cream, wine, beer: what I like and what you like may not be the same.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Bob is right, speakers are one of the most subjective suggestions a person can make. That said, considering your budget, i'm going to make my subjective suggestion:

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-D811s - $300 online

Mains: JBL N28s - $130 online

Center/Surrounds: JBL NSP1 Package - $250 online

Subwoofer: Sony SA-WM40 - $150 online

DVD-Player: Panasonic RP62 - $150 online

Interconnects: NXG Technologies (5-10 cables) - $30 - $60 online

Speaker Wire: 250ft Home Depot 12 AWG - $65

Total: around $1150

This suggested system is assuming you don't want to use any of your current equipment. If you wanted to build around your current Def Tech speakers you could do so, but make sure whatever receiver you buy will handle 6ohm loads.

Hope this helps.

Ricardo_Mo

Auditioning
You guys are really impressive.. oh and we are geting an xbox for xmas !!! If i did spend say an extra $500 where would you suggest I spend it and what would it be? Getting addicted to my pursuit. Also, who is a reputable online vendor?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I would spend the money on a decent sub. Bass is the hardest part to reproduce, uses the most power, and adds the most to a movie or music.

Tell me, do you want to hear an explosion go boom, or do you want to feel your gut tremble and your floor shake as the explosion envelops you?!! A good sub will deliver.

I have been receiving very good advice on this in the sub/speaker forum and am still learning. I bought a polk 10" but am told I need a Velo 15". My room is almost 50% larger than yours though.

As far as online vendors go: I would suggest brick and mortar for your system. (Sorry to you online aficionados)

The reason is simply service: If you are unhappy with the sound your system delivers; have any problems, or (in my case) blowup your sub, a brick & mortar place can take care of you right away - no postage lag.

Circut City was kind enough to swap out the sub I blew for a brand new one, and told me if I had any more trouble soon I could trade it in for a larger model. I suspect that this is standard and not based on my good looks (If you could see me you'd understand the humor of that statement)

Anyhow;

Good luck. No need to bribe anyone here with tix to BG; everyone here is doing what they love. I personally own a Florida residence year round pass to BG because it KICKS DISNEY WORLD'S ARSE! (Kumba=barf)

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
If you went to 1500, I would look at the 1499.95 package with Klipsch and Denon that they have at the same store you bought your stuff at. ( Ultimate Electronics i presume) It has a dvd player in it which you do not need, so they will subtract $249.00, bringing it to $1249.00. This is a much better system for a small amount more.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have to second Eric's suggestion. Your most enjoyment for the $$$ would be a bigger/better sub. Look for posts about the HSU subs for $400-$500, or the SVS subs for a bit more.

Note: I have DefTech 2000tl towers and the built-in subs have been silent for over a year. The SVS 25-30cs in the corner just takes over all the duties.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks