What's new

Almost Human, the new JJ Abrams show starring Karl Urban (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The chemistry between Kennex and Dorian remains the strong point of the series. I would agree that the show is very uneven. There is a lot of unrealized potential here in the world that the show has created but it doesn't seem to have the focus necessary to really address the issues being raised. Kind of disappointing in that regard. Still hope a) it gets renewed and b) the writers / show runner(s) can get a tighter focus on the material.

- Walter.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm not sure I understand these complaints. They are building a layered, complex world. A world that will have numerous facets to explore as the years go by.Yet people are upset because Everything isn't explained All at once.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I find the show entertaining but I feel like they are showing the episodes out of order. I really hope they renew it
but I won't be surprised if they don't.

And yet another blatant Blade Runner reference at the end with the shot over the city and the mix of synths
and timpany.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I fell asleep. Minka Kelly may be easy on the eyes, but her lines were so wooden it started really grating on my nerves. And then I conked out. When I woke up, I had forgotten what I had been watching when I fell asleep. So, this is the last (partial) episode for me. And I agree that Kennex acting so aggressively like an asshole really ruins the show for me. If you make him an asshole, then investigate that. Make the show dark. Make it like The Shield. Instead he's supposed to be a good guy. But a huge dick at the same time. Doesn't work for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Parker Clack said:
I find the show entertaining but I feel like they are showing the episodes out of order.
The latest episode was very striking in that regard. Dorian seemed to be a different character. He spoke more formally, less casually. Kennex and Minka's character seemed on a different page completely from the start of the season. Kennex is out dating someone; maybe I missed something, but that doesn't fit what I expected from the story, his flirting with Minka, and his pining / obsession with his former girlfriend.

I liked that the episode had a clear theme and consistent story to tell. The side story with Kennex fit in as well. It was bleak, and too tidy for its own good in its Twilight Zone ironic twist. But still, a solid effort at sci-fi storytelling.
David Weicker said:
I'm not sure I understand these complaints.They are building a layered, complex world. A world that will have numerous facets to explore as the years go by.Yet people are upset because Everything isn't explained All at once.
I'm complaining because it's mostly a bland buddy-cop procedural with incoherent stories. I'm complaining because the main character is possibly a psychopath who is a danger to himself, his partner, and the general public and makes me not want to watch at times. I'm complaining because the story is erratically adding new elements, and then failing to do anything at all with them.

This episode described a Chrome who by conventional expectations was an underperformed, as a chainsaw sculptor. I'm betting he's one heck of a sculptor.

Minka Kelly's character is a non-entity. There's nothing about her professional performance that is more than mediocre. She's like Counselor Troi, stating the obvious; only without the cleavage. It is inconceivable she's a genetically superior being capable of running the police department.

I'd be more intrigued if they did a story about her being an inferior Chrome. The show is supposed to be about technology gone bad. Instead it's mopey angst about being an outcast for not meeting social norms in her professional positions (while secretly being as awesome as all the other Chromes). Feh.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That was a strange way to end the season, but typical of the show's lack of cohesion around, really, anything. If this gets renewed, hopefully that means the show has license to actually come up with a season long arc rather than just self-contained stories creating loose ends that ultimately go nowhere.It's no surprise Fox promos keep pushing the Kennex and Dorian relationship. It's the best part of the show and the closest thing it has to a continuing story.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
DaveF said:
The latest episode was very striking in that regard. Dorian seemed to be a different character. He spoke more formally, less casually. Kennex and Minka's character seemed on a different page completely from the start of the season. Kennex is out dating someone; maybe I missed something, but that doesn't fit what I expected from the story, his flirting with Minka, and his pining / obsession with his former girlfriend.

I liked that the episode had a clear theme and consistent story to tell. The side story with Kennex fit in as well. It was bleak, and too tidy for its own good in its Twilight Zone ironic twist. But still, a solid effort at sci-fi storytelling.

I'm complaining because it's mostly a bland buddy-cop procedural with incoherent stories. I'm complaining because the main character is possibly a psychopath who is a danger to himself, his partner, and the general public and makes me not want to watch at times. I'm complaining because the story is erratically adding new elements, and then failing to do anything at all with them.

This episode described a Chrome who by conventional expectations was an underperformed, as a chainsaw sculptor. I'm betting he's one heck of a sculptor.

Minka Kelly's character is a non-entity. There's nothing about her professional performance that is more than mediocre. She's like Counselor Troi, stating the obvious; only without the cleavage. It is inconceivable she's a genetically superior being capable of running the police department.

I'd be more intrigued if they did a story about her being an inferior Chrome. The show is supposed to be about technology gone bad. Instead it's mopey angst about being an outcast for not meeting social norms in her professional positions (while secretly being as awesome as all the other Chromes). Feh.
That's the word I was looking for before - 'bland'. There is too much richness and depth available for storytelling here for it be bland.

But, I guess I don't get the criticism that Kennex is a psychopath/asshole. What exactly is this based on- that he pushed an MX out of his car so it would get trashed by a semi? Or that he shot one in the face?! That he told some outrageous stories about a missing coworker? That makes him utterly unlikeable? Wow - how did a show like House survive so long on Fox?! Kennex is supposed to be damaged and edgy, but he comes off as almost as squeaky clean as a boy scout. Other than some slight banter, he's been very quick to warm up to Dorian, and he's been nothing but personable towards victims. I guess I think he's a long ways away from being a psychopath/asshole.

I, too, hope that it gets renewed, but it needs to do something about the blandness.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
KevinGress said:
But, I guess I don't get the criticism that Kennex is a psychopath/asshole. What exactly is this based on- that he pushed an MX out of his car so it would get trashed by a semi? Or that he shot one in the face?! That he told some outrageous stories about a missing coworker? That makes him utterly unlikeable?
"The kind of person who spreads malicious rumors about coworkers around the office is toxic. And his glib, jokey approach shows that he's a deep manipulator; he's just kidding so why would anyone get upset?"His character is written erratically. He swings from being despicable to fully charismatic. Which can reinforce my distaste of Kennex. That type of personality tends to be for the manipulative villain. The bad guy that the hero knows is evil...but no one believes him because they're all taken in by the villain's guile.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Cameron Yee said:
That was a strange way to end the season, but typical of the show's lack of cohesion around, really, anything. If this gets renewed, hopefully that means the show has license to actually come up with a season long arc rather than just self-contained stories creating loose ends that ultimately go nowhere.It's no surprise Fox promos keep pushing the Kennex and Dorian relationship. It's the best part of the show and the closest thing it has to a continuing story.
Yes, very odd season finale. It had a lot to like. The moody, emotional story was engaging. It was almost all about Dorian and Kennex's relationship, and had some of the best interactions so far. But the story was too hasty, and resolved in a jumble of narrative.And the closing scene was broken: clearly Dorian's dialog was re-recorded after shooting was done. His dialog was overlaid on shots of Kennex, then quick cuts back to Dorian not talking, with disconnected reactions. I guess they had sarcastic banter originally, from Dorians smirking. But the realized they needed heart-warming, so mashed new words on top, with butchered editing.it undercut an otherwise nice epilogue. It was the third major conspiracy this season. And to have two other major threads created and dropped, not used for a tremendous finale is weird. I suppose it's a gift to the viewer: if the show is canceled, it ended with resolution. Overall: it feels like every episode is written by a new writer with little concern for what comes before or after. I won't be tuning in for a second season.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I guess the 'big' finale would have come at the end of episode 22, but they didn't do the 'back 9'.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It would be great if this show is ever released on bluray, with the episodes in the "intended" order.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I wasn't surprised either, but I thought it was short-sighted of Fox not to give it another try with some tweaking. Maybe another 13-episode order. While it wasn't a ratings blockbuster, it was certainly doing better than quite a few shows they renewed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Matt Hough said:
I wasn't surprised either, but I thought it was short-sighted of Fox not to give it another try with some tweaking. Maybe another 13-episode order. While it wasn't a ratings blockbuster, it was certainly doing better than quite a few shows they renewed.
it needed more than a little tweaking. It had three major mythos happening, with no priority. It was a scifi buddy show but flirted with being an hathos-filled anti-hero a la Revolution.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have the whole series on DVR and haven't yet begun to watch. Is it worth watching as a self-contained story, or did they leave too many loose ends to bother?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Watch 1-3 episodes, if you don't like it after that, dump the rest of the episodes. There are some loose ends, but in a background sort of way. The partnership is the main thing about this show, and that was overall pretty solid throughout the 13 episodes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Malcolm R said:
I have the whole series on DVR and haven't yet begun to watch. Is it worth watching as a self-contained story, or did they leave too many loose ends to bother?
I agree with Patrick that it didn't leave loose ends. But I disagree, and think it unsolid throughout :) In fact, I enjoyed the first 1-3 episodes, and got frustrated about halfway through.

I recommend dump it from DVR to make room for Defiance S2 and even Under the Dome! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks