What's new

Almost Human, the new JJ Abrams show starring Karl Urban (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep. Read the before it on murder-cops.Why the hell do the cops-droid have giant action figure leg joints? Was that Ken doll joke really worth that ridiculous detail which will now be a fact of all the robo-cops? No, it wasn't.That scene where Avery belittles Maldonaldo for like five minutes and she slinks away without saying a word in defense, thus proving Avery completely right. I was waiting for a defiant response, a snappy line, or even a brusque dismissal so the supposedly not pathetic chief of police would appear to at least have some pride, but nope! She just walks away, sad that men don't notice her.This scene is made infinitely more wretched by the scene at the end, where a man tells Maldonaldo she looks pretty today and she beams like a flower seeing the sun.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
Has Minka played anything other than "wish fulfillment"? (if her role on Parenthood was her "least wish...")
I didn't know her before a Parenthood, and loved her there. Perfect fit for the empathetic teacher who gets through. I suppose that's mom wish fulfillment :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
My Minka Kelly wish fulfillment skews less Fox and more Showtime.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One thing I will give Minka...she had every excuse growing up to not make anything of herself...and even if her "background" keeps her out of certain roles, she is making a bigger name for herself than her father(although who knows why he did what he did...maybe he didn't like the type of limelight he found himself in).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree with Matt, Monday's episode was one of the better episodes of the season so far. I always like to play 'spot the Bladerunner' references when I watch this show and Monday's episode had a few.

Dorian busting through the wall - shades of Roy Batty.

The Luger test vs. The Voight-Kampff test.

And of course, the idea of 'wanting more time' which was central to the film.

- Walter.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of this show and Blade Runner. Does anyone else notice similarities in the music for both?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, I noticed that in the latest episode. I think it's a bit too similar at times, as with the light umbrellas.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I continue to like, and watch the show because of, the buddy-cop relationship between Kennex and Dorian. They've got good banter, and chemistry. But the stories continue to be mediocre.The "heart" of this episode had the makings of great scifi: how much will people give to spend a few more days alive? Whose decision is it? But its full potential wasn't used in a procedural detective scenario. THe interesting twist, the moral conundrum were rushed past for Heat Vision sfx and stuff-goes-boom. And the story ended early, with the bad guy having a puzzling non-sequiter, if ominous, speech to Dorian about the eternal life of a droid.The B plot perplexed me. The main story was about people choosing more life for themselves. The side story was about Dorian forcibly giving an old life back to a DRN droid. But that droid shouldn't have had it, being a faulty detective DRN: sloppily violent, cowardly, and a murderer. I'm don't know how this story thematically fit the A plot.I am intrigued by what holds for Dorian. He implied he failed the Luger test, a faulty unit. And earlier in the series, the Captain said she picked this unit specifically for Kennex.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am intrigued by what holds for Dorian. He implied he failed the Luger test, a faulty unit. And earlier in the series, the Captain said she picked this unit specifically for Kennex.

And the plot thickens.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I had to have missed an episode somewhere because the entire storyline about 'The Wall' was really confusing.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought maybe it had been mentioned in the opening voice over in past episodes, but I didn't find it especially confusing. I got the gist of it from their reactions to the wall, plus there's the similarity to Game of Thrones. :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Given that Fox is airing the series out of order it is entirely possible that "The Wall" was covered in a prior episode (in terms of production order) that has not been broadcast as of yet.

And the Bladerunner references keep on coming. "Not an easy thing to meet your Maker."

Still enjoying the show quite a bit although I thought that the destruction of Danica was a bit too easy given her reputation.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Did a quick google search and apparently "The Wall" was mentioned in the pilot with little exposition. I honestly had forgotten it being mentioned, due to only being a brief mention? From a review of the premiere episode...

Possibly, but the mention of people making it over “the wall” early on in the restricted zone (and other mysteries subtly introduced into the pilot) points to the potential for larger social commentary and depth in the show’s future. Almost Human is seemingly aspiring to be more than the entertaining and visually pleasing sci-fi procedural that it already is, and right now, it seems like it will meet those aspirations.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
While the show featured decent action and keep me watching, I was a bit disappointed that the resolution was so predictable. When Laroquette mentioned he still tinkered around with bits and pieces even without a real lab and then that initial bot was described by the authorities as having been put together with bits and pieces, the surprise element was completely destroyed.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Looks like next week reveals

why Minka Kelly is so darned perty. Eugenics!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Regarding Detective Valerie Stahl I think we are going to get another Blade Runner reference.

"Too bad she won't live.."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks