What's new

Almost Human, the new JJ Abrams show starring Karl Urban (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Urban is pretty cheeky and entertaining. I don't know if ripping off Die Hard is the best idea...but, it was sort of fun. They should have gone all out and done fake out quotes, etc.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The chemistry between Keenex and Dorian is good, the A-plot seems flimsy at times, but it's only 3 episodes in, still enjoying the interplay.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Funny how this show and The Blacklist did take offs on Die Hard on the same night.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Enjoyed the use of the face altering technology to get Urban on the 25th floor. I continue to like the dialog between Urban and Ealy and find their chemistry to be the best part of the show. "Dead is dead."

- Walter.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Really enjoyed the first three. I suspect this will follow the pattern of Fringe with standalone's giving way to a major arc.
There is a lot of potential here too. Just hope they get the chance as the ratings are dropping.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's going to be interesting to see how this show holds up. The core concept is solid, but there is so much we don't know.. at all.. about the world they inhibit. And how they flesh those details out I think will shape whether this is a great show or an OK one

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I've been enjoying this quite a bit. I love Urban's performance and the chemistry is good. And yes, the production values are top notch. It still baffles my mind that Agents of SHIELD doesn't have production values anywhere near this.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The production values are high, but seem to make no sense. You would think a city overrun with crime would look more like the gritty Detroit in Robocop and less like a shiny futuristic metropolis.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Hanson said:
The production values are high, but seem to make no sense. You would think a city overrun with crime would look more like the gritty Detroit in Robocop and less like a shiny futuristic metropolis.
Ha! Good point. It does look too shiny for the given backstory.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No surprise who the big bad turned out to be. Otherwise, OK episode. The conversational give-and-take between the two leads has turned out to be the best part of the show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Dorian's reaction to being stuck with all the Ken doll cops during down time was kind of funny from an AI neurosis point of view.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Drugs that use "more of your brain" that enable contact with the dead?

Isn't this supposed to be "science" fiction? Seriously, WTF is that? It actually made me mad to see that bullshit.

If I built a robot for combat purposes, I would stuff the CPU and all that shit in the middle of the chest and then put thick armor around it. But no, they take out the androids with head shots. Because their "brains" are in their heads. HUGE DESIGN FLAW.

Some will call me nitpicky. I would just, for once, like to see good scfi on TV and not full of weird, brain dead plot holes.

Too much to ask?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Liked the clone element, the psychic abilities not so much. The io9 review has its points, but I think the reviewer kind of gets a little bit carried away. Still watching for the chemistry between Kennex and Dorian but I do wish the writing was better.

- Walter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think this was the least of the episodes, so far. "Medium psychic", a joke so lame they had to use it three times. Ghost Whisperer seems like a complete misfit to this show. And it didn't redeem it, like Star Trek would, with a good ethical quandary, or twist ending or anything.It was also a sexist episode. The payback for the bad guys "get under her skin by saying she's hit the glass ceiling and no man respects her" is to have a guy tell her she dresses well.That's right, a woman trying to succeed in a tough-guy dominated field, afraid she isn't respected professionally, fears she's topped out in advancement at age 40...what she really wants is a junior to tell her she's cute. Gah. Terrible. On top of that, Minka Kelly is written like male fantasy of that character. She's always perky, smiling, in a flattering sweater. She's "smart" in a non-descript way, but never actually better than any man around her. She follows sports and drinks bourbon. This isn't a person, it's wish fulfillment. I like kennex and Dorian. I like the buddy cop stuff and the banter. I like the gloss and sheen and big-budget stylings. But the actual sci-fi stories are kinda meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks