What's new

Almost Human, the new JJ Abrams show starring Karl Urban (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
A strong start. I was a little surprised the two bonded so quickly. I would have thought they'd drag out the characters not getting along, but I'm not exactly complaining.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I enjoyed it enough to keep watching. Urban is the man.

I do have to say they went all out on the look of this show. Great camera work, great FX, great set design. While the story seems pretty standard/vanilla at this point, there can be no mistaking it for anything less than the best looking genre show on TV. I feel like I'm watching a fully realized world.

Too bad SHIELD dropped the ball so bad on this. Watch this show next to SHIELD and prepare to be flummoxxed over how/why the Marvel flagship TV show ended up looking like Charlie's Angels in comparison.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I kept expecting someone to speak in some sort of Chinese/English mashup and say to Urban's character
"You Brade Runner"..... :)

I really enjoyed the high production values that they put into the show. I had the feeling of watching a theatrical
release and not something designed for TV. The dialogue was spot on and I could get into the characters right
away. I felt like I had been watching the show for a few weeks and not for the first time.

Looking forward to this.

For some reason I thought that this was something that was going to be released earlier in the year. Was this
delayed or am I just remembering wrong?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I enjoyed tonight's episode, but they're already starting the romantic pairing of cops in the workplace! Geez!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Sebastian? Sex Bots? Skin Jobs?

J.H.Wyman and Abrams really like Blade Runner.

Again, loved the show. Just couldn't get over all the references.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Haven't seen tonight's episode yet (we forgot to set the DVR), but I really liked the pilot. Urban and Ealy are great as the leads and the production value was great.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I enjoyed both episodes, as this show looks a lot more promising than "Common Law". It does have that "Robocop" feel to it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've watched both episodes and I mostly enjoyed it.

Pros
The cast and the chemistry between Urban and Ealy.
The production design and FX / general look of the series.
The themes of synthetic vs. natural life and how those differences and simularities will illustrate the nature of both of them.
Bladerunner - the television series. :)

Cons
Writing is a bit too formulaic and kind of drags down the show in some ways. Some cliches and tropes I could have done without are present.

Other thoughts
So Kennex chunks his expensive MX series robot partner out of his vehicle causing a crash and damaging an expensive piece of government gear and there are no repercussions. Sure it was a quick way to establish the character's issues with artificial units but it kind of pulled me out of the show with its unrealistic tone.

How long before the 'Kennex is a synthetic unit' rumors start swirling around the internet? :)

I'm sticking around for all of the reasons I listed as pros and I hope the writing becomes a little less predictable.

- Walter.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I think I made it about halfway through the pilot and couldn't take it anymore. Just a very formulaic poorly written procedural show. I'd say it belongs on SyFy but I don't think it's even up to their standards.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I liked the pilot, but thought episode two was a bit too cartoony. Almost felt like a bigger-budget throwback to the syndicated science fiction shows that had their niche in the nineties.As always, Minka Kelly is distractingly beautiful. A bit confused as to her role. In the pilot, her title was intelligence analyst. In the second episode, she was a detective just like Kennex but didn't seem to work any cases of her own and basically seemed to exist just to feed Kennex and Dorian plot points.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Urban has really expanded his acting chops. Watch him in anything before Doom and he's pretty wooden. This second episode was a lot of fun seeing the relationship change and him not being such the one dimensional guy he was in the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks