Almost Finished!! Sonosub Pics..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Steeves, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Looks great Brian, I had a dual Shiva in 14cuft tuned to 18Hz and it put out some serious bass.
    What are the specs of your sub?

3. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I should add that your sonosub has the most meticulous wiring I have ever seen , nice job! Did you use a whole bag of zip ties? [​IMG]

4. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

James,
    Brian dosnt seem to play arround with little details [​IMG]
    its just a shame that no one is ever gonna see the work inside that "simple" tube sub.
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)
    My DIY audio page!
    Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks [​IMG]

5. Brian Steeves

6. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Seeing your beautiful sub prompted a question.
    I notice that you have put 4 small rubber feet underneath the bottom most base, is this an important inculsion when including a solid base? I am no expert, but I did note a couple of other design like yours that didn;t seem to have the feet. I always thought it was very attractive but worried that it wouldn't work as well as just legs.
    Then I saw the four feet you added and though of something. Would including speaker spikes below the plate work even better?
    All I know is that my PSB speakers came with spikes, which it recommended to you use if the speakers were on carpet, and rubber pads, if the speakers were on solid surface flooring. I can guess as to why, so the speaker gets a solid purchase on the floor. Is this the same for subs? I would think it is more so since I guess the need for this is mostly to do with low frequency performance.
    When I make my sub, I want to go for a design like yours (visualy) and will be placing it on carpet. If you are going on solid floor then the rubber bumpers make sense, if you are going on carpet, why not spikes?
    Thanks
    Robin

7. Brian Steeves

Robin you are right. Spikes do couple a speaker to the floor. And I have some on order from Parts Express that will be added eventually. Spikes in my experience tighten up bass. Which to me is a good thing.
    However we just bought a house that was built in '73. When we closed on the house the first thing I did was rip out the ORIGINAL green shag carpet! [​IMG]
    We have yet to replace the carpet as a few other things have come up. So the sub will be on concrete for a little while.

8. Stephen Teffner

WHAT, you mean my sub (that I bought off of you) is lacking in the midrange. I want my money back. [​IMG]. Just kidding. Plus I don't think Elizabeth would let me get rid of it. So a good way to tighten up the bass is to add spikes onto the base...
    I would rather have those instead of the rubber feet (rubber tends to leave marks on my carpet).
    So maybe adding a sub that has more midrange might help huh?
    Stephen Teffner
    BTW. That sub looks real nice (not as nice as mine, however the piano finish has grown on me I must say).

9. Brian Steeves

10. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

Great job. Very nice looking sub. [​IMG]
    Did you build the grill yourself?
    If not, where did you purchase it?
    If so, how did you do such a fantastic job?
    Thanx.
    Paul.

11. Brian Steeves

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Thanks for sharing, looks like that's going to be a MONSTER sub!
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker