What's new

Almost Famous (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Anyone who thinks this movie was a "sleeper" should look up what that term means in some film glossary somewhere.
It all depends on the context and perspective of the person stating this; since it basically means that the movie achieved unexpected recognition or success, it'd rely on what was expected of it and by whom. If the studios expected to get $30m and earned $50m, then it'd be a sleeper to them. So, let's ask Dreamworks if it's a sleeper to them. ;)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Almost Famous is one of my favorite movies ever and IMHO was the best movie of that year. Another vote for the Untitled cut -- it vastly improves an already great movie.
(I saw it in the theater plus both cuts on DVD).
Theatrically at least, Almost Famous was the very opposite of a sleeper -- it was a huge box office disappointment. It was a very expensive film (all the music rights!) and it bombed relative to its high budget. I think it was marketed rather poorly.
I'm very glad that it is getting a second life on home video.
Ted

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not only is this film special, it's inspirational for me. You see, I have a story that I want to write, and it's about the breakup of an engagement I had many years ago and it stays with me. However, anytime I put pen to paper to write it down, it feels too personal. Well this movie shows that you can make a story very personal, and it can still be done well. Doesn't have to come across as sappy or weepy. So I'm now in the process of writing, and this movie helped get me started. Mr. Crowe had a lot of courage to put his life onscreen like he did here.
Oh, and definitely pick up the Untitled: Bootleg Cut of this movie.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I just heard 'Tiny Dancer' the other day. Brought the whole film back to me. Good films are like that, I guess. They stick around in your head.
Everytime I hear that song, I think of 'Almost Famous.' I just love that movie.

"Hold me closer tiny dancer...count the headlights on the highway...lay me down in sheets of linen..."

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I just rented this movie the other day for the same reason (no good new releases and I had been wanting to see it). I was not let down. I really enjoyed the movie. It is not my favorite movie ever, but it was great. I need to see that untitled version. I wish the dang video store would carry it becasue my list of WANT TO BUY's is too long. Oh well, maybe one day.
Later

Cliff B

Agent
I'm another person that loved this movie. Being a musician myself, it also had that extra special impact. But, I'm obviously in the minority on this one in that I felt that the extra footage messed up the pacing of the movie. I thought the pacing of the theatrical version was smoother. I can understand watching the extended cut for interest's sake but, I've put this disc on a few times now and it's the original version that I always end up watching.

Great movie, I saw it in the theaters and own both versions on DVD. Is the excellent featurette on the original disc on the untitled version? I couldn't find it.
Unfortunately, it's not on there, which I found disappointing. Sure, most people would consider it a fluff piece but there was some really cool footage of Peter Frampton in action on-stage, (although way too brief). It seems as though in the bootleg cut overall, he's barely acknowledged for his contributions to the film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not only is this film special, it's inspirational for me. You see, I have a story that I want to write, and it's about the breakup of an engagement I had many years ago and it stays with me. However, anytime I put pen to paper to write it down, it feels too personal. Well this movie shows that you can make a story very personal, and it can still be done well. Doesn't have to come across as sappy or weepy. So I'm now in the process of writing, and this movie helped get me started. Mr. Crowe had a lot of courage to put his life onscreen like he did here.
Funny you should mention this. I've been toying around with several scripts in last couple years. After watching Almost Famous, I sat down at the keyboard and put out the best page of dialogue I've ever done.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks