Almost Famous

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Lenhardt, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Tonight I went to the video store. There was nothing good in the New Releases section, so I decided to search out a title I'd heard loads of good things about. I'd been meaning to rent it, but I never seemed to get around to it.
    That movie was Almost Famous. Here's a movie about music that's about everything but the music. And damned if it isn't the best movie I've seen in a long time. Fuck A Beautiful Mind. That's the truth... the sunny side of the truth even. This is the truth through the eyes of a 15 year old. This is the truth filtered through booze, pot, and acid. You see so many movies set in a time period. This is the first I've experienced where you can actually live in it.
    "What do you love about music?"
    "To begin with, everything."
    You go through the emotional experiences of the characters -- William in particular. When times are good, you'd kill to be there. When times are bad, you're glad your in you HT, nearly three decades away.
    Thanks for reading... and don't do drugs.

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Adam,
    Glad you loved it. It's a very special movie. I chose it as my best of 2000 (easily). I wonder how it snuck by you. Cameron Crowe at his very best. This film enveloped me completely during and after.
    Glad you saw it, [​IMG]
    Chuck

3. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Did you see the theatrical version, or the "Untitled" director's cut?

You absolutely MUST buy the Almost Famous Bootleg Edition!

4. Adam Lenhardt

Theatrical. Heard "Untitled" was even better. I may have to pick it up when my wallet's feeling a bit heavy[​IMG]

5. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Definitely a sleeper hit. One of my favorite movies now. I've watched the original 4 times and my new bootleg edition twice. I simply love the movie!!

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I love it too. Never got a chance to see it theatrically, but bought it sight-unseen...and now it's probably my most watched DVD. I simply love it...

7. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

ditto Richard Kim - fantastic sleeper movie of the year. The weird thing was that the kid was my age in THAT year so I could really relate.

8. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

It's such a great movie. [​IMG]

9. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

It's one of my most-viewed discs. I didn't get to see it in the theater but purchased it after seeing it at a friend's house. It was my #2 movie of 2000 (behind Requiem For A Dream) but infinitely more watchable (and less depressing). The entire cast was excellent - Frances McDormand should've won the Oscar that year and Kate Hudson should've been nominated as Best Actress instead of Supporting Actress.
    I've stalled on purchasing the Bootleg edition because I've never heard what the exact differences are between the two versions. I've heard the Bootleg doesn't have a DTS track and is missing the music video from the first DVD. If someone who owns both could post the differences and discuss them a bit, I'd really appreciate it [​IMG]

10. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

The Bootleg/Untitled cut is so much better. I'd say get that one!

11. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Got the Bootleg edition through on Thursday.
    Never seen the movie before. Utterly fantastic. Is this the only commentary by the director and his mother ever?[​IMG]

12. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

The Bootleg edition contains about an extra 40 minutes of scenes integrated into the movie with little to no lack in video quality. I personally think the longer cut is superior if only because you get to spend more time with these characters.
    The commentary is a lot of fun as Crowe does it with his mother and you realize they are both extraordinary pack rats. Many of the items in the movie (Frances McDormand's dresses, his backstage passes, etc.) are the real items from the 70's. Disc 2 has the theatrical release as well as some nifty deleted scenes and a full 15 minutes of the "Cleveland concert" by Stillwater. There's also a 3rd disc (CD) of 6 Stillwater songs (they really did a remarkable job of recreating a 70's "classic" rock style band - very reminiscent of Bad Company).
    Buy! Buy! BUY!! [​IMG]

13. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I actually made it a point to see it in the theatre when I saw the trailer. My gut told me it was going to be something special, and it was.

I left the theatre loving the flick, and I wound up purchasing both DVDs. Too cool.

"I am a Golden God!"

14. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    On the issue of DTS on the Bootleg edition, there is a DTS track on the theatrical version, but not on the longer cut. I think it was an issue of space or something. Don't worry about it. The longer cut is a much better film - even at 2 hours & 42 minutes it doesn't feel like there's an ounce of fat on it.

Get the Bootleg edition. You won't regret it.

15. Cary T

Cary T Screenwriter

I didn't think this movie was a sleeper. I saw it in theaters, i'm a fan of Cameron Crowe

16. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Untitled is an amazing alternate to the theatrical cut. TONS of added bits to every other scene. Many scenes are the same but with 20-30 seconds extra dialog/footage. That extra time makes a world of difference.

This is not to say that the directors cut is poor, or even that Untitled is better, but it is equally as good and become quite different with all the changes.

One of few times a directors cut really feels like a different film, yet both are good.

17. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to add it to the ever-expanding lists of DVDs-to-buy.

Seth, the first movie that comes to mind when you mention the extra scenes is Chasing Amy - the deleted scenes probably needed to be deleted but added to the fun of the DVD.

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Anyone who thinks this movie was a "sleeper" should look up what that term means in some film glossary somewhere. This was not even close to a "sleeper".

Great movie, I saw it in the theaters and own both versions on DVD. Is the excellent featurette on the original disc on the untitled version? I couldn't find it.

19. Adam Lenhardt

I just heard 'Tiny Dancer' the other day. Brought the whole film back to me. Good films are like that, I guess. They stick around in your head.

20. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Actually I think Almost Famous is much more of a sleeper than many films the term gets applied to. Sixth Sense is in no way a sleeper except for that the director and lead were practically unknown (bruce willis supported, didn't lead [​IMG]), it had a huge, convincing ad campaign before it was released at a dearth of good movies and it made almost 300 million, not what I'd call a sleeper. ON the other hand almsot famous pulled in less than 40 million domestically but has a huge following and more and more people have seen it and loved it, very similar to Shawshank redemption. Though these are more video sleepers than theatrical sleepers.
    I love most every oen of the untitled additions, especially those in the beginning, the sequence where william is told how old he really is perfectly illustrates how a few seconds of added timing can really add to a scene, there's maybe an addtiaonal minute in the scene, but it plays so much better. the only scen e I really didnt'take to was teh birthday cake bit, which i didnt'really see the point of.
    Adam