Almost Famous & Led Zeppelin ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Tull, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Steve Tull

Steve Tull Auditioning

Recently received my copy of 'Almost Famous - Untitled'....

what an absolute gem of a disc. I absolutely love this movie

and i think that the longer directors cut is even better.

I watched the movie again last night with Cameron Crowe's commentary which was very interesting and informative, especially the bit at the end regarding Brian Wilson .

I was a little disapointed,that he did not elaborate on the reasons why Led Zeppelin would not allow the use of 'Stairway To Heaven', after all they allowed him to use 5 or so of their other songs , so why not this one.

I don't know anything about ownership of song rights or anything but i imagine that Jimmy Page & Robert Plant have a pretty big say so with regards to the use of their material i just thought it was a shame that they didn't allow it or that Cameron Crowe kind of skipped over the reasons.

Any one have any thoughts on this ?

2. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

Who knows? I was just surprised and happy to hear the Zep songs at all (particularly The Rain Song). Their inclusion helped put this movie over the top for me--glad to hear the disc is worthwhile. Guess I'll have to pick it up.

Has Zep ever allowed their material to be used in another other film? Hell, even Dazed and Confused couldn't get the rights to the song the movie was named after (or couldn't afford them?).

--Jefferson Morris

3. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Editors of Wayne's World had to cut out Stairway because of copyright reasons also. Maybe it's just that one song.

4. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

5. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Stairway is considered one of the greatest rock'n'roll songs ever so I would imagine Zep would not allow it to be tainted by being in a film or whatever that may be. That's just my guess...

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

8. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Well, it certainly was a unique DVD experience to watch the "Stairway to Heaven" deleted scene on my computer and have to cue up the song in Winamp to provide the audio portion.

Even if they had secured the music rights, I can't imagine this sequence making the final cut.

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    According to Dreamworks Zep does not license out their songs to anyone. I loved the creatitive way that they got around this issue. [​IMG] Now its time to get out my Led Zeplin IV.
    Parker

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I think the way Crowe circumnavigated this legal hairball and STILL managed to deliver the scene properly is just amazing.
    I mean, who among us doesn't own a copy of Led Zeppelin 4? [​IMG]

11. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

You have to admire Page and Plant's integrity. When John Bonham died it would have been very easy for them to take on another drummer and continue the band. They didn't. The three remaining members all agreed to call it quits. They considered each member irreplaceable, and they ended on top instead of perhaps diminishing into mediocrity.

They also never licensed out ANY of their music for any commercial purpose, unlike many other groups have. I recall reading somewhere that Crowe wanted to use their music in his upcoming semi-autobiographical film "Almost Famous". He showed the film to Page and Plant who were so impressed that they allowed him to use some of their music for the first time ever. That and the fact that Crowe had interviewed and toured with Zep back in the 70's (and was presumably liked by the band) were the probable reasons for Page/Plant's permission for him to use the songs.

Somehow I doubt that Zep will ever let "Stairway" be used in such a manner, but I could be wrong.

Jefferson- I also really like "The Rain Song"; it is one of my favorite Zep tunes and enjoyed hearing it in the movie as well.

12. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

13. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Doesn't Cam Crowe discuss this Led Zepplin music 'thing' on his commentary with Amy Heckerling on FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH?
    Heinz W.: They play a Zeppelin song in that movie ... and he tells why and how he got it there....and why it's different than the character called for.
    ~Rob

14. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Hey wait but they did have several other Zep tunes in AF so what is so special about Stairway. Why do they seem willing to allow the use of some but not stairway?

Max

15. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

16. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I keep hearing about this creative way that Crowe managed to incorporate the song into the movie. Can anyone explain to me what he did?

I don't own any Led Zeppelin albums.

17. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Not to get too far off topic, but the entire movie The Stoned Age was written for Led Zeppelin songs. During the commentary they tell what song played where, etc.

I believe Cameron Crowe has a lot better intentions in using the music than most people. Zep fans don't want their music cheapened, nor do I. I think instead of merely having the music tie into a time or place, Crowe uses the music to actually tell part of the story.

18. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

There was something about this on the cameron crow website prior to the release of the untitled version. Crow mentioned that you can get the scene exactly how he wanted it by playing your stairway to heaven track on your cd at the same time.

19. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Carl,

What they do is include a deleted scene and tell you to cue up Stairway and then give you the start cue at the right place. It is on disc 2 of the 2 disc set.

Max

20. Michael St. Clair

These Led Zep guys take themselves too seriously. Page trashes 'Kashmir' with Puff Daddy for Godzilla, they can't stop 'Dread Zeppelin' from running around, and they are worried about a few songs in some movies? Get over it.

Oh, and 'Stairway' is far from their best...it is a marginal rock classic, an example of composition and production excess.

John Paul Jones is the one with my respect. I just saw him live and his show blows Page&Plant away. The dude has it together, mentally and physically. He seems about 20 years younger than his former bandmates and his music is diverse and tight.