Almost Famous DC - Region 2 gets DTS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Stone, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Chris Stone

Chris Stone Agent

unlike the R1, the R2 edition of the DC of Almost Famous will get DTS in Englisch (as well as Dolby Digital)

after The Mummy Returns another blow for Region 1

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

But will it contain the same extra's? That is the question...

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

4. MattGuyOR

MattGuyOR Stunt Coordinator

I'm highly disappointed in no DTS. They should've just had a separate release for a DTS version, or had ALL the extras on disc two and skipped the theatrical cut. It's still available for those who want it. It's just common sense.

5. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

Since the Director's Cut comes in 2 DVDs (plus a CD), does anyone know if the theatrical cut, which is on the second disc, still has a DTS mix? I understand the director's cut does not, but (since I sold my original version), I'd love it if the original cut still came with DTS.

6. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The original version retains its DTS track, according to DVD File's review. I do think it rather odd, however, that the director's cut doesn't have a DTS track. I also don't agree that the picture quality would unquestionably suffer because of its inclusion. Gladiator, a 150 minute film, looks wonderful and has a DTS-ES, DD-EX, DD 2.0 and audio commentary track all on the one RSDL disc.

7. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Almost Famous: Untitled is a 162 minute film in DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 and includes animated menus, an audio commentary, audio intros by Cameron Crowe on most of the disc's extras, interview with Lester Bangs, a demo of Nancy Wilson's Love Comes And Goes, B-Sides (a five minute video clip), Crowe's Rolling Stones articles, and much more. If you added a DTS track, you'd have to get rid of most (if not all) of the video extras just to make some space on the disc for the track. Also, if you added the DTS track, you can't move those extras to Disc Two as it's already filled with the theatrical cut (122 minutes) with two DD 5.1 tracks, a DTS track, a DD 2.0, and around forty minutes of video bonus material.
    Just be happy that DreamWorks is re-releasing this title in a nice 2 DVD/1 CD set. As I mentioned earlier, the DTS track is still available on the theatrical cut. If you're mad that the director's cut doesn't include DTS, either shut up and buy it and be happy, or you know what? Just dont buy it at all and let the people who have been wanting this re-release for quite awhile (like myself) enjoy it without people bitching that there's no DTS track on the Director's Cut.

8. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Matthew,

I was just making a comment. There was no need to reply in such a hostile tone.

9. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

10. Jakob_S

Jakob_S Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for asking, but excactly from where have you got the info that the R2-version contains DTS on "Almost Famous DC"?

11. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Jakob_S,
    There's a review of the German edition on Area-DVD.
    The theatrical cut will have a German DTS track, while the Director's Cut will have English DD5.1 and English DTS and no German audio whatsoever, which surprised me. I'm sure a lot of people will complain about that, hehe. (Can you guess I hate dubbing?)
    As for the extras, there's no mention of the audio intros and the script. Everything else seems to be there. And of course, the German edition is only a 2-disc-et, so no audio CD.
    Sometimes I'm glad I don't have a DTS setup. Makes the decision so much easier. [​IMG]
    Chris

12. Jakob_S

I read that review earlier today. The problem is, that I'm not convinced. If you search for Almost Famous on every other german DVD site and on amazon.de - the followering spec. will appear:

---------------------------------------------

"Almost Famous UE (2-disk"

DISK 1:

Theatrical version,

Audio-English: Dolby digital 5.1

Audio-German: Dolby Digital 5.1 + DTS 5.1

DISK 2:

Dir. Cut

Audio-English: Dolby Digital 5.1

Audio-German: Dolby Digital 5.1

----------------------------------------------

Area DVD could have made a mistake in their review. I have wrote them a letter and asked. I will post the letter here if they'll answer.

13. Jakob_S

Wow, I've already recieved a reply from Area DVD. That was fast, huh? Anyway, He writes in german that Universal had made a mistake in their press release and that's why all the other German DVD sites have the wrong info about the audio on the discs. This means that Area DVD are correct in their info, and that the dir. cut version contains both English Dolby Digital and DTS! The theatrical version though contains only English Dolby Digital and no English DTS.

So which version is the best? Well, I think I'll go for the German R2-version. What will you guys do?

Best Regards,

J

14. Bryn

Bryn Extra

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the inclusion of DTS on R4 releases where not available on R1 releases is because we often have only English soundtracks.

Often the R1 releases have a wider selection of audio (often French, for example, which I assume is to keep those Canadians happy) that we don't get. We get a bit of extra room out of that, maybe just enough for a DTS track....

15. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

The DTS DC is also announced in France/Belgium by DVDFr with screenshots of the menus...
    Vincent