almost completed my first DIY project! w/ pics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JulianBrock, Sep 12, 2002.

1. JulianBrock

JulianBrock Extra

Sorry if this is the advanced forum but as a first time DIY'er... I have been a long time lurker learning from the people of this forum and just wanted to share my first experience in the DIY circus. Thanks for all the info.. it sure made it a lot easier and cheaper (doing it right the first time). I also wanted to share my experience for the other people that are trying to decide if the DIY route is right for them.
    Thanks for looking!
    http://txraves.org/~magnetik/diy/Page.html
    Julian Brock

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Nice job! And welcome to the HTF!

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Wow, thats a pretty elaborate enclosure for a first-time project! Congrats. PLease let us know how it sounds.

4. JulianBrock

JulianBrock Extra

it sure is a lot easier when you got plans to base your project on! I can't wait to build my MTM's... I am dreading trying to build the crossovers though... hope it's easy to learn.

Julian

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Are you designing the crossovers yourself? Once you have a schematic, it's not too tough... like following a map.
    If you are intimidated by the soldering, don't be, I've said before, if you saw my first crossover solder job, you'd be surprised it worked at all. [​IMG]

6. JulianBrock

JulianBrock Extra

I have some experience soldering... but not designing crossovers... I think I will start by cloning someone else's project design.. then as I learn.. getting more comfortable with doing it... start fiddling with creating my own crossovers.

Julian Brock

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Thats another thing about crossovers, the parts usually aren't terribly expensive. So you can always re-design or change 'em.

But, if you're anything like me and you've had to live with crappy crossover-less speakers all your life, you'll be impressed with the sound of even the most basic crossovers.

8. Julian, absolutely use a well reguarded DIY speaker for your first. Designing a good crossover takes pratice software/hardware.
    An interesting excersize you could do is get the AV+1 (relatively inexpensive yet well reviewd MTM that uses a series crossover) and then try and build a good parallel (most common) crossover for it! If it doesn't work out, you learned that much and you can just re solder in your good XO[​IMG]
    BTW, looking good on that sub

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tony,

The A/V-1+ is not a series crossover design. But the A/V-1 is.

Brian

10. well....$hit howdy [​IMG]
    ...then he can re-do a parallel XO [​IMG]

11. JulianBrock

JulianBrock Extra

how bout one of ya'll do one for me... you know.. so I can learn straight from the experts. :)

Julian Brock

12. Julian, most people here can build wonderous subs but wouldn't know what to do when it came to designing a speaker from scratch. the Madisound forum would be better to hit up. Do you have anything against the AV+1? lets pretend someone here builds something for you. How would you learn any more than if you went with an already designed DIY kit? I highly doubt the person here would spill their brain contents onto this forum (messy too!)
    What you need is the Loud Speaker Design Cookbook ...you can buy it at www.partsexpress.com
    that is parts express not part sex press [​IMG]

13. JulianBrock

JulianBrock Extra

hehe.. I was just joking... :) I don't even know what an A/V 1+ or - is.

Julian

14. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Julian, Tony is right. Crossovers are a different world when it comes to design. The design of crossovers and their integration with drivers is what differentiates great speakers from midiocre speakers. I'd say you need more than a year of study and experience to be able to design a good crossover, and you do need software and hardware. The Madisound idea is a good one. They'll design you a basic crossover that won't necessarily be the best implementation, but it will be affordable, and you can tweak it in the future as you learn.

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hank,
    I think Tony is refering to the DIY'ers on the Mad board, not having Madisound design a crossover from scratch.
    (It sure does take up a lot of time explaining things to the elderly!) [​IMG]
    Brian

16. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Julian,
    Looks good for what all you have done so far! What's with all those screws? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just wait until you enter the sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, wet sand, paint, wet sand, paint, wet sand, paint, etc. phase. [​IMG]
    At least you now have the tools! (And that is where the vast majority of the first project cost is.)

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Very nice. How heavy do you estimate it will be when finished?

18. JulianBrock

JulianBrock Extra

I know... I messed up on the screws.. I didn't know.. I just saw someone else do it on another page.. I don't need nearly as many as I used. It sure helps though when you don't have many clamps. the screws also prevent me from rounding the edges with the router.

hehe... luckily... I plan to skip the paint, sand, paint, sand phase.. I will most likely be jumping to the glue, slap on some laminate, and router phase. :)

Julian Brock

19. JulianBrock

JulianBrock Extra

Neil:

It already feels like about 100lbs.. hehe.. it's not as easy to flip over and prep when you get to the end of the project...

I need a sliding miter saw and a table saw.. anyone got any recommendations? Something around say... $350-400 each?

Julian Brock