What's new

Ally McBeal has been cancelled (1 Viewer)

Craig_T

Second Unit
Variety is reporting that Ally McBeal will not return next season. Everyone stick your finger down your throat after lunch tomorrow in honor of Ally McBeal.

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
WOW!!!

I stopped watching AMcB since I started going to Karate training on mondays nights.

I knew the show was slumping, but I didnt think they would cancel it.

Anyway, could somebody fill me in on what has happen since the end of season 2?

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I really didn't like the way the show was going but I thought Monday's episode was great. I'd hate to see it cancelled just as it is starting to turn around.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think David Kelley just ran out of ideas on what to do with Ally and company. This season has been the biggest one in terms of change, and for the most part, it has been so divergent of the show's original premise, it basically signifies that not only has Ally changed, but so has her audience. Ally's now saddled with parenthood while trying to figure out her love life.

I'm thinking Ally might just may get hitched to Victor for the season ender. Aw...wouldn't that just put the death knell into the Ally franchise if it didn't get cancelled first?

But I've been there for the entire 5 year run. Some seasons were funnier than others, but there have been quite a few really good and extraordinary shows in its run.

Will I miss Ally, maybe a little but like I said, she's moved on, and so will I.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
FINALLY! I just could not make myself watch this show. I guess I just have this thing against human PEZ dispensers! I keep waiting on Calista's head to flip back! :)
Brian

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I've been watching "Ally" since the beginning, and while I'm a little sad to see it go, it's probably time. Kudos to Kelley for not stetching it out another year (43rd in the ratings is not really all that bad these days, is it??). Hopefully the cancellation came early enough in the production schedule for Kelley to craft a good series finale.

I always felt the world inhabited by the "Ally" characters is an alternate universe just to the side of our own. In the "Ally"-verse, dreams are paramount, fantasies become real, romance is king, and music is the key component that underscores all of that. I LOVED the way Kelley used music in the show - the many tunefests in the bar, the Biscuit's Barry White mantra, Ally's search for a theme song, etc. Kelley was brilliant in resurrecting old pop chestnuts and giving them new life as counterpoint & commentary on his characters. For example - will any "Ally" fan ever hear the bittersweet "You Belong To Me" anymore without thinking of Ally & Billy?

Oh, and wouldn't it be nice if we could have this thread free of jokes & comments on Calista Flockhart's weight? Those got boring years ago.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I stopped watching a while ago. I'm not terribly surprised that it was headed toward cancellation, but I would have thought they'd keep it through next season as they have trouble filling Monday's timeslots.

Perhaps now that it's off the air they'll be kind enough to release Ally McBeal - Season 1 to DVD.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Fox and Kelley decided against another year as the ratings fell. The show, which once scored close to the top 20, recently finished 43rd in the ratings.
Does Fox have any shows left for next season? Perhaps all these cancellations bode well for Undeclared?

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I really liked this show when it first started. However, it really started to go down hill. I often wondered if there were real people like this how in the world did they function in everyday life. It was just getting wo weird. I think we stopped watching when they killed off Gil.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I am really going to miss seeing and hearing Elaine sing in the bar :frowning:
For the most part, I can do without the rest.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I watched Ally the first two or three seasons. It was a wonderful mix of humor and melancholy; the music was perfect, and the random animations wonderful!

However, it lost its joy the third or fourth season, and every character suddenly seemed very bitter and hostile. I quit watching.

I've caught a few episodes recently, and enjoyed them. But it's still not the same as its first years.

Goodbye, and thanks for the early laughs.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
For me, the series ended when "some-guy-from-Murphy-Brown" flew over the creek earlier this year. If that wasn't an ode to "jumping the shark" I don't know what is...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I was tempted to stop watching after Lucy Liu left, she was a hottie!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

But I still watch to see my other honey Portia De Rossi. Double...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
!
No more though I guess. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks