1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Ally McBeal - finally jumps the shark

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The 2/4/02 episode of Ally McBeal will be pointed at as the episode in which Ally jumped the shark:

Ally takes in her daughter, a daughter that was a product of one of her frozen eggs from a decade ago and artificial insemination. This combined with the untimely demise of the father of this child presents Ally with her biological child who took action to find her biological mother.

The new direction of Ally playing mom is probably going to be the death knell of the series.

2. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

I was sitting there watching the show Monday night and thought, "Gee, this looks like something that will be pointed to as the point where Ally McBeal jumped the shark."
    I guess I wasn't the only one. [​IMG]
    And it's not that this angle is just completely awful, it's the feeling that it was just made up on the spot. There could be more artful ways of introducing the concept of Ally finding peace in being a mother.
    Of course, even though I still watch every week, this season has been so incoherent, starting with the unexplained departure of several characters between seasons, then the intrusion of the new supporting characters, and now the new supporting characters disappear for an episode. Incidentally, this week's show had two directors. Do you think they're cobbling together episodes after the fact, perhaps due to weak material?
    I hear the ratings are slipping, perhaps the show will be mercifully brought to an end before things get really out of hand?

3. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

All they have to do is fatten up Ally so she could look good wearing those micro-mini skirts. And then all the male viewers will return. Right now their checking out CROSSING JORDAN on Mondays to fill their lust.[​IMG]

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The episode has one virtue compared to the rest of this season -- it kept me awake. Sorta like a train wreck. And I'll be there for next week's because I can't wait to see how Fish justifies making Ally a partner.

M.

5. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I gave up on the show back when Gil Bellows was being written off. That whole dye his hair, act crazy macho, and then die plotline felt like shark-jumping to me. I felt the same way when Peter MacNicol's character was killed off on Chicago Hope - and thus I never watched it again. I don't remember Picket Fences having a similar moment, but it does seem to be a recurring theme for other Kelley series.

Was the daughter's name Scrappy Doo?

Brad

6. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

I just had to go look up where "jumped the shark" originated... too funny. Thank you Fonzie.

7. Michael Reuben

I'm curious: Where did you look?

M.

8. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

I found a site: http://www.jumptheshark.com/
    In their FAQ they explain the origin.
    Funny site, they list all the tv shows and you cast your
    votes as to when and how the show jumped the shark.

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I lost interest in this show after the first season. I have become a regular viewer of Raymond and Becker on CBS.

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Am I the only one who thinks the whole "jumped the shark" thing has ... jumped the shark?? [​IMG]

11. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

But it's such a simple, elegant phrase to describe such a thing. I mean, how else would you say it... "it's to the point where every episode that comes after it will go downhill?"
    Or "It jumped the shark"...
    I don't think "jump the shark" will ever jump the shark. [​IMG]

12. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

perhaps saying the term "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark will jump the shark [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Management wishes it to be known that those responsible for jumping the shark in regards to the term "jumping the shark" have now jumped the shark.

14. Sam Graves

Sam Graves Stunt Coordinator

Didn't South Park rip on the "jumping the shark" idea in an episode? I think the Fonz was eaten.

15. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Sam, I think you're right. If I remember correctly it was the bus crash episode, and after Fonzie jumped the shark (or something) they all had ice cream.

So who left the series over the summer? I stopped watching shortly after they killed off Billy. For me it was just getting to damn serious. At first Ally's fantasies were fun, then it became like it was a serious mental illness. How whacked out does she need to become before they lock her up? And how did Nell come back? Some of the last episodes I saw were where she quit the firm.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Speaking of Nell, the actress Portia Di Rossi has gone public with being in a lesbian relationship. Just thought it was an interesting tidbit. I can't see Nelle sticking around if Ally returns next season.

17. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

18. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

It seemed to me that they were pointing Nelle toward getting back together with John Cage. They gave Nelle some interesting story at the end of last season, but they focused pretty heavily on the new characters this season.

Keith, both Taye Diggs and James LeGros disappeared between seasons. Lisa Nicole Carson is MIA as well. I suppose that was due to some incidents I heard about during last season. ("Exhaustion" I believe was an official statement?) Perhaps that is another reason they put Ally in her own house, to get people like me to stop wondering, "What happened to Renee?"

They also introduced a character last season that Fish met in LA, a young actress that he convinced to move to Boston and work for him. She disappeared as well.

Hell, now that I think about it, just cancel this show before it really gets awful.

19. Michael Reuben

Based on the latest episode (2/11), I think reports of Ally jumping the shark may be premature.

M.