Ally McBeal 10/29/01

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm probably the only guy that'll admit that I still watch Ally McBeal. I found the season premiere of Ally to be pretty funny (to me). Having that lawyer with the neck tick when he says words that begin with "c" be a therapist to Ally was a stroke of genius. They introduced quite a few new players in the mix, and they don't totally stick out like a sore thumb.
    I guess it comes down to me enjoying the neuroses of the characters, and the rapid fire dialogue. After 4 years, there's still plenty of laughs to mine from the main characters, even if the cast rotates out many of the players every year, perhaps that's why it remain fresher than most comedies in the later years.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Another guy who watches Ally McBeal here. I'm also one of the few people of either gender who tuned into the half-hour version, Ally.
    I actually watched the season premiere of Ally McBeal a couple hours before watching the season premiere of Boston Public, that other David E. Kelley show. I wish I had seen Ally second, because I could have used the laughs folowing the lackluster season premiere of BP.
    I like where the show seems to be going this season. I heard Peter MacNichol and Lucy Liu are only in for a few episodes. When they're gone, I hope I don't miss the characters as much as I'm fearing. I can only hope there will be some better stuff ahead for Jane Krakowski and Portia de Rossi, who had nothing to do in the season premiere.
    It seems odd, however, that so many people just up and disappeared this year with (so far) no explaination. I heard a while back that James Le Gross was out, which I assume is why they were hiring a lawyer in this first episode. Then there's Lisa Nicole Carson, Taye Diggs (didn't he stay through the end of last season?) and the girl Richard convniced to move to Boston from LA. Are they gonna tell us where these people went?
    = Derek =

4. Rain

Rain Producer

quote: Are they gonna tell us where these people went?[/quote]
    I doubt it. They never said anything about where Carson's character was for most of last season, when the actress was away due to "exhaustion."
    All in all, though, I enjoyed the premiere. I don't think the show has been this funny in a while.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
    Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
    [Edited last by Rain on October 30, 2001 at 02:22 PM]

5. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I had quite the opposite reaction. I thought it was a wretched season premiere. This whole parallel of the new "Ally-like" lawyer and her "Billy-like" counterpart isn't a very interesting idea. I found the episode quite humorless. Didn't like her new therapist. The only new character with slight potential seemed to be the new black female lawyer -- I guess a little sass to replace Lisa Nicole Carson. I also thought Calista wasn't looking too well, and that haircut didn't help.
    Maybe I'll try one more episode next week, but after watching from the debut episode, I think I may give up on this. Especially with the impending departure of Peter McNichol, the interesting Cage/Fish dynamic will be gone.
    [Edited last by Elizabeth S on October 30, 2001 at 06:35 PM]

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

The black female lawyer was good last season, but I have a feeling that Regina Hall is going to shine this season. [​IMG]

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Patrick, with a woman as fine as Lucy Liu on this show, you better believe I watch it!
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and women of our military and their families!