Allright. One more tv asking advice post. 36xbr800, 40xbr800 or Tosh 36hf72?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

I promise this will be my last asking advice post on which set to buy as I have to make a decision by Sat.

At Best Buy, I can pick up the Toshiba 36hf72 for aprox $1530.00 + stand of some sort.

At Soundtrack I can pick up

A. Sony 40xbr800 for 2700.00 which INCLUDES the 40xbr stand.

B. Sony 36xbr800 for $2100.00+300.00 for stand=$2400.00

C. Sony HS500 for 1674.00+220.00 for stand=aprox $1900.00

This set will mainly be used for dvd, xbox and some cable.

I was leaning toward the xbr sets thinking I would not be compromising anything this way, but some people claim the Toshiba has a better picture than the xbr even??? What are your thoughts on this?

I know ultimately this is my decision, but I would like some opinions from some experienced tv enthusiasts as I am not one of them yet:b

2. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

I'd go the XBR route. The Sony 40xbr800 if you can afford it. Bigger is better.[​IMG]

3. Bill W.

Bill W. Stunt Coordinator

I like the Toshiba picture better, I have the 36HFX72, the slightly modified version of the HF you are talking about. I spent hours comparing the two side by side (well, actually it was over/under) and thought that the Toshiba had a better picture, regardless of the price.

There wasn't a direct comparison with the 40" but of the 2 36", the Toshiba won. The XBR's have some tweakability that the Toshiba's evidently don't, I understand it is in the service menu, but out of the box, with only AVIA to tune them up, the Toshiba got my vote and my money. I couldn't find ANY advantage of the Sonys, regardless of price.

I understand that there is a big box store version of the HF available at Costco, with a slightly different designation and about a $300 lower price, but when I tried to tweak it I couldn't get it to look as convincing as the HFX. Admittedly, source components and the fact that I was in the middle of a Costco probably played a role. At the time, I was unaware that it was simply a rebadged version of the HF.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Bill

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

The toshiba does look better than the XBR, just cause it costs more dosent make it better. But then again if you can afford the 40" [​IMG] id go with that, but if you go with a 36" get the most for your money get the toshiba

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    If it were me, I'd go w/ the Tosh and spend the savings on any # of other upgrades.

Of course, if it were me, I'd get an RPTV instead and still save $$$ for other upgrades. [​IMG]

_Man_

6. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replys! I am going to give the Toshiba a shot and spend the $1000.00 I will be saving by not going with the 40" xbr on a sub and some cables. Thanks again!

7. Bill W.

Bill W. Stunt Coordinator

I think you will be happy!

Bill

8. Trev Barton

Trev Barton Extra

Not me I'd go with the 40. I too have compared these TVs and I thought the Sony was better than the Toshiba especially given the larger size.