What's new

Allright guys, one last wire question and I will be done obsessing..... (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Alright, last question. Considering that I will be doing straight connections with this wire to my amp and speakers using NO banana plugs, just bare wire on the terminals, would there be a significant advantage or disadvantage to a thick strand wire with less strands vs a thin strand wire with more strands? Would either one work? Would cinching down on the terminals with the thinner strand wire possibly cause the wire to break? Would one be significantly better than the other for doing bare terminal connections with no banana plugs? I promise this is the last of my wire questions guys, but thanks for dealing with my obsessiveness!

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Did I miss something? The part where banana plugs or spades are bad?

Strands can definitely break. The thinner the wire gauge, the more loss. Probably not a problem in a short run ... more problematic as length increases.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Some binding posts shear down on the wire as opposed to clamp down on the wire. This can slice off thin strands.

But don't forget that the thin strands of wire have to be fastened to the inside of a banana plug if you use those. One more connection to worry about. (Soldering eliminates all worries provide you don't melt the plastic plug handle.)

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Elinor, I think he’s talking about the same gauge but one with a low strand count (i.e., fewer, thicker strands) vs. one with a high strand count (more, thinner strands).

Todd, they are both functionally the same. The only difference is that a high strand count speaker cable will be more supple and pliable than one with a low strand count. The former will bend easier in tight places, and also will lay out nice and flat across the floor.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks