1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Allow me to WHINE about putting my HT togather

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rod Melotte, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

I've 47 and my eyes are not what they use to be. All you young guys - JUST WAIT - at about 40 you will "one day" be stretching your arms to read something and it's all down hill from there.

Last night I was putting my new surround sound system up. I had everything ready. I had 2 sets of reading glasses and flashlight in hand.

My WHINE is those blasted terminals on the back of the reciever where you put in the speaker wires. THEY WERE DESIGNED IN HELL!! can they possibly get more densly packed togather? Can the little hole where the cable most snake into get put in a worse position? NO!!!

The Center and back speakers were easy on my Yamaha but THEN the basterds decided to have a different type for the main. What a freaking headache.

Am I the only guy on earth that has cramped conditions or is everybody using eacy pull shelves sipping wine in one hand while hooking up a HT.

OK - I'm done. My hands ache from little wires being poked up my fingernails but I'm alive.

2. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Rod,

I'm 61 and I can identify with your problem. However,

my solution was found at Radio Shack, their -306 banana

plugs.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I find a nice Merlot really accompanies the HT wireing process [​IMG]
    We feel your pain.
    The dual-banana plugs from Radio Shack are a godsend if you have 5-way binding posts.
    If the dual plugs stick out too far for behind your receiver, they make a 2-piece plug that is shorter without the spacer bar.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

agreed...
    you need to get those rat-shack plugs. it sounds like the back of your receiver may be cramped. my onkyo has non-standard spacing so i had to use the single banana plugs instead of the dual. just make sure you get the right plugs and your life will be so much easier!
    [​IMG]

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I love wiring my HT together... i dunno why, its just really fun... If i had the time, i'd unhook everything and do it again... well, i dont love it to that extent, but its fun...
    Ohyeah, im 16, i guess thats why... [​IMG]
    Sorry for rubbing it in... :p)

6. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

NickSo: I agree, i love setting it up. And I love to setup others HT too. I also get a kick out of just looking at the crazy mess of wires and knowing that Im responsible for that mess!!

haha!!

7. Chris_DiDio

Chris_DiDio Auditioning

I'd like to agree with Rod...I just turned 40 and he's right. There is definately a love/hate relationship with setting up your HT, but it's a totally different matter when you set up your mother's. I would say a nice merlot and a good port will help with that one

ciao

8. Mark O'Donnell

Home Theater tweaking is just like wood working.
    It's alot more fun when you have the right tools. [​IMG]
    BTW I will be pushing 40 in a couple of years and I kinda look forward to it... [​IMG]

9. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Rod, I agree with you and I'm 15.

I hate waking up in the morning with screwed-up fingers because they were poked to death by speaker wire!

Nathan