Allocating Money for Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Wallis, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Wallis

Wallis Agent

I'm buying a 5.1 system. I'll mainly use it for home theatre. It will be in my family room, which has 10 foot ceilings. It's probably 12 feet deep and 23 feet long (it opens into a kitchen and breakfast area). I'm planning on the Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver ($600). I'm leaning towards an HSU or SVS box subwoofer ($500-$600). I'd like to keep my total costs under $2000, which gives me about $800 to play with. Several questions:

1. Am I insane in allocating my money this way? Should I decrease my subwoofer investment in favor of improving the remaining speakers?

2. If not, what brands would people recommend for the other five speakers? I'm somewhat interested in BIC or JBL right now, but don't know if they're a good fit, given my other needs.

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

You might look at the Paradigm Performance series, espacially the Atoms and the CC-170. You should be able to get 2 pairs fo Atoms and the center for around that amount of money. I have enjoyed the Yamaha/Paradigm combination for over 5 years. By putting more money in a sub now, you can always upgrade the other speakers and keep the sub you originally have purchased.

3. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

I think you have close to the right allocation. I think the subwoofer is right on (I'd also check out Aperion Audio as another one to consider). If you find some speakers that put you a little over budget, I'd spend less on the receiver. Something equivalent to the Onkyo 601 or Denon 1804 should meet your needs and can be had for around 400, maybe less.

I see for your subwoofer you have already mentioned 2 internet companies so you must be comfortable with that model. I would reccomend looking into some internet speaker companies. The following are popular and good companies Aperion Audio (www.aperionaudio.com), Onix (www.av123.com), Axiom, Ascend, ACI (www.audioc.com), and Swan.

I myself own an Aperion Audio system and have auditioned or heard Ascends, ACI, Swans, and the Onix Rockets. I think they are all great companies, what will work best for you depends on your specific situation and priorities.

4. Wallis

Wallis Agent

Thanks. I'll check out those systems. Glad to hear that I am not completely off base. I have no problem with internet companies as long as they are recommended by knowledgeable consumers.

It's been a decade since I shopped for a stereo system. Now, there is so much information on the Internet, it is almost impossible to assimilate it all. I now know what the KGB must have felt like during the Cold War when they were trying to absorb and process the volumes of information about the West. [​IMG]

5. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

My personal recommendations for mostly movies setups are a couple of brands you may be able to listen to. Klipsch and Def Tech. They are very good for movies and you should be able to get a setup around your $800 mark.

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Paradigm isn't sold over the internet. Besides, for speakers, you'll ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS want to audition them first.

At the price point you're looking at, I would. Spend money mostly on your L/C/R combination. The front soundstage is very important...surrounds not so much, sub not so much, at least in my eyes. Unless you need absolutely huge bass, and then to fill a room as large as that, something of SVS calibre would probably be a requirement.

And I wouldn't fixate myself on a certain receiver right off the bat either. Audition combinations of speakers with receivers and see which sounds best. Specs on paper are a distant second to actual sound. (The RXV-1300 is an older model by the way, it's been replaced by the 1400).

My priority sequence: Speakers, receiver, sub. Work with an overall budget, don't chunk it up. That could lead to an inferior setup for the money you wanted to spend overall.