Allman Brothers Band Fillmore concert on cd

Discussion in 'Music' started by TonyD, Jan 24, 2006.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    ok so there is at least 3 versions of the this record on cd
    the origional release containing 7 tracks.
    then a 2 cd with 12 songs.
    also a deluxe cd with 13 songs.
    the additional song is midnight rider.

but my question is the length of most if not all the songs is different on the 12 and the 13 track edtion.
    these were all taken from the same concerts so why the different times on both editions?

here is the longer edition.
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:yckxlfaeacqp

the other edition.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

sorry for the double topic, must havce hit a button on the keyboard.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The reason the songs are different lengths is that the Allman's were a jam band and often played very extended songs. Some songs were edited down for vinyl back in the day because of space limitations on vinyl.
    So, the CD with shorter versions is the original album.

Myself, I have the MFSL CD, the SA-CD, and the original vinyl. I've yet to hear a CD or SA-CD (in stereo) that even comes close to capturing what's on the vinyl. I was severely disappointed in the SA-CD....

3. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.

right, i knew that, but the newer deluxe 2 cd has a few songs shorter then the older 2 cd set.
    and visa versa.
    so it would seem that you would have to have both of the 2 cd sets to get all the long versions and all the songs of this concert.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If you check out Steve Hoffman's music forum, they go into a lot of detail about the differences. Basically, different versions of the songs. I like the remastered version with the most songs, but a lot of people complain about this one because it is not faithful to the original vinyl version. I don't care, it's just *different* not better or worse to me, except to me, because it does have more songs than the original, I prefer it for that reason.

5. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
  6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I just did some searching, and there's a bunch of threads over there on it. Here's the one I remember:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ghlight=allman

I have the Fillmore Concerts. See? Not the preferred version over there. (But for balance, check out Amazon's ratings.) And I even still have the original on vinyl! [​IMG] And I still prefer the Fillmore Concerts.

The funny part is, the Deluxe Version has one more track than the Fillmore Concerts, so maybe I have to revisit my choice! [​IMG]

Check out Amazon though. This is what one reviewer had to say about the Deluxe Version:

Plus, I remember somewhere a comparison between the two mixes, and one person said that the guitars were more forward for the Fillmore Concerts, and that pissed a lot of people off (!) because it was *different* than the original.

OK, see I looked at this about 6 months ago, and I'm slowly remembering why I *didn't* get the Deluxe Version and I decided to stay with the Fillmore Concerts. [​IMG]