What's new

Allman Brothers at the Beacon Theater - Stunning Performance! (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
This month DirecTV is doing a freeview of the Allmans live at the Beacon Theater.

All I can say is, this is a stunning performance. Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes, trading slide solos.....JAW DROPPING.

This is my first time seeing/hearing Derek play. Shocking. Incredible. Fantastic. Awe inspiring.

I love electric slide. This show is perhaps the best electric slide playing I have heard in a long, long time. I never got to see Duane play, but I can say this; his spirit is alive and well in Derek Trucks.

I have not looked for it, but I assume this is out on a DVD, as are most freeviews. This is a must have for fans of the band.

BGL

Dave Isham

Grip
Brian,

I'll have to check this out as I was at one of the Beacon shows 3rd row, ear level w/ Derek's stack. (thank god for my Etmyotic molded earplugs.)Warren Haynes would shoot him an annoying glare every now and then over Derek's stage volume. I think Derek was completely out of the house mix, his half stack filling the Beacon w/ room to spare.

You'd normally think great, just what the world needs, another decent slide player... He sprinkled a plethora of world music influences between the lines and had a great time trading humorous licks with their bass player (whose name escapes me...)

This kid has the most amazing hands I've ever seen. It reminds me of what my bass teacher used to say about Jimi Hendrix (they jammed together on occasion during the pre to early Experience years). Excellent command of his instrument.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Wow, must have been a great show.

What totally blew me away was that Derek hardly moved at all, and pretty much just stood there, focused almost trance-like on his instrument. When he really, really got cranking (which was a site/sound to behold, IMHO!), he would move a bit, be he remained stoic most of the time.

And his right hand technique was amazing, no pick, everything he did was finger style.

Contrast that to lesser players (or which most every one else is!) that look as though they are being "serviced" by someone skilled at the art while they are playing. Puh-leeze!

Side note: I have to say it was great to see a bunch of older, paunchy, grey beards (which I am on the way to becoming!) tear the roof of the joint the way these guys did. No one on that stage did anything other than deliver a totally virtuoso performance.

I advised the missus that the next time they come around these parts, we are there. I would prefer to see them on their own, rather than as part of a jam-band tour, but I would take them either way.

Last thought....I picked up Hitting the Note a few weeks back. A really nice record, and IIRC, there is a note in the booklet that says Derek is in the left channel and Warren is in the right. A very cool touch, IMHO.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks