What's new

Allison Krauss recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What I've heard of Allison Krauss, I like (thought I'm not too crazy about blue grass as a genre). But I'm looking for a few recommendations of Krauss's top 3 albums (bear in mind, I don't have SACD capability at this time).

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, if you aren't a big fan of bluegrass, then my #1 recommendation would be her recent solo album "Forget About It". It's much poppier than her other stuff with Union Station. It has a meloncholy feel, but the upbeat songs are great.
As for her stuff with Union Station, I think her new album "New Favorite" is probably her best. I also have "So Long, So Wrong", which I think is great, but on the songs she DOESN'T sing, there is an overwhelming bluegrass feel that you may not like. On the songs she does sing, it's more countryish than bluegrass. Kinda like Shania Twain meets early LeAnn Rimes.
I don't have any other titles, so you asked for three, I gave you three. Perhaps someone else can chime in with reports on her earlier material (which I have heard is also excellent). Basically, you cannot go wrong with her voice;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, I bought the Alison Krauss Forget About It SACD last weekend, and while Krauss has a great voice and the recording is excellent, the music simply doesn't move me. It's too mellow. That's just my opinion. I say give it a try. Note that the SACD is a hybrid disc, so it would work for you. The album is also available on a regular CD. You should be able to find it at Circuit City for $13.99. The standard CD comes in a digi-pak and the SACD comes in a jewel case, so for that reason, I'd get the SACD if I were in your shoes.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
AK & UNION STATION are taping an Austin City Limits tonight. Can't tell you the broadcast date as of now but, check your local listings during the next ACL season.
You know, she's older than she looks, back in the late 50s she was working with David Seville under another name. They had a big Christmas song.
Jim

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
If you really don't care so much for the classical bluegrass sound (which may grow on you) probably Alison's last three albums would be for you. I agree her handling of ballads is terrific, although on the other hand hardcore bluegrass fanatics tend to think she's wandered too far from her roots in these slower songs. She tends to alternate between predominantly bluegrass albums followed by more solo stuff. The recent addition of the incomparable Jerry Douglas to her band has been a real bonus. Her 'Now that I've found you' is a Best of CD and has some great songs compiled from her early recordings. She's an amazing fiddle player (she won fiddle contests as a teen, well before her singing talent was recognized).
Since you like Alison, I'd recommend you check out the eponymous Nickel Creek (which is on Austin city limits this weekend) album, which, coincidentally, is produced by Alison. Sara Watkins (who can also be seen fiddling on one of the Cingular commercials airing a lot these days) sounds eerily a lot like Alison.
By the way, Alison is barely thirty years old:
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver...lect=biography

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Late 1950s? She must be a lot older than she looks. From the photo on the cover of Forget About It, I would have guessed she is in her 30s. Heavy make-up and/or airbrushing can do wonders for people these days. Then, of course, there is always plastic surgery. :)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The little furry thing flying over your head is a Chipmunks joke. :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim, obviously I missed the joke. That's O.K. I still don't get it. :)
NP: Dave Brubeck Time Out multi-channel SACD (stereo track)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Imagine Alison singing, "Chwistmas, Chwistmas time is here..."

Trust me her band loves to remind her.

Of course, when you have to explain them....

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
If you want to hear her sing something other than bluegrass, she sang Johnny Mercer's THIS TIME THE DREAM IS ON ME on the MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL soundtrack. It's like damn, Alison, could you just make one album of jazz just for me. She sounds like she was born to sing jazz but she seems to love her roots.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the recommendations and the laughs. I'll be checking out some of her albums in the near future.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
For a newcomer to AK, the logical starting point would be the "Now that I've Found You" compilation. It has a cross section of her older stuff as well as a good chunk of her newer, less traditional music.

Regards,

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I just bought my first Allison Krauss disc "Forget About It" and I am amazed. I have listened to songs from some of her other discs and just did not set well. But "Forget About It" is great as long as you are like me and love to just kick back and listen. This is just a CD but it sounds incredible. She is right there in my room with me, Hope my wife don't mind! This will be one of my all time favorite discs. I absolutely love the song "Ghost in this House".

Oh, also its not too strong at all on the blue grass side, I'm sold...!

Wes

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
By the way, Alison is barely thirty years old:
I can verify Alison's age. She went to grade school and middle school with my daughter and they were in the same grades together.

I even chapparoned a roller scating party that Alison attended when she and my daughter were about 11 or 12 years old. Alison fell hard at the scating rink. Her mother took her to the doctor and found out she had a hairline fracture on the arm.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Did the doctors say that she would never play the violin again?
No, but years later, when she made it big, that story came to my mind and I really did wonder what would have happened if she had fell harder. I guess Alison is my brush with fame, before they became famous.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marty, wow, that's a great story and an interesting bit of trivia. Thanks for sharing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks