What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Allied, from director Robert Zemeckis (The Walk, Back to the Future), is three movies in one; a love story, a war drama, and an espionage thriller. It is a film with excellent performances, including Brad Pitt, Marion Cotillard, and Jared Harris, but as a film it never quite lifts itself from being “good” to achieving any level of greatness, something one often expects from Zemeckis.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This moody World War II movie of drama mixed with action has flaws, but it's grown on me. The 4K UHD has strong pq, and the performers and production design are top-notch from my pov. I think this is the third time I've watched this disc, which is currently on sale for $12 from amazon.

allied-1024x768.jpeg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The story in this movie has an unusual source:

....the inspiration for Allied came to Steven Knight by happenstance. “I was tooling around America some 30 years ago, working in Texas, of all places. Sitting in a backyard, a friend of mine’s auntie said her brother had been a Special Operations Executive (SOE) behind enemy lines during World War II, gotten a French resistor pregnant, later found out she was a spy...."In a piece written for The Telegraph this week, Knight says he can’t verify the veracity of the story....

The haunting music by Alan Sylvestri fits the movie well.

I seem to like this one more each time I watch it, but the first time in the theater when it was released in 2016 somehow was just too much for me.

Allied-Movie-Poster.jpeg

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I enjoyed this theatrically and the 4k disc is superb. The film is not as good as you want it to be, a film of two halves, during the second half it's momentum drops as the action gives way to domesticity. Brad & Marion work well together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks