alliance atlantis pulp fiction collectors edition audio problems

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jonathan Dagmar, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Just picked up this set. Comes in a very nice box (aside from the french scribbled all over it). Unfortunately it appears as though there is a problem with the audio. At least the first two chapters of the movie, in both DD and DTS, have no dialog. The music plays, and ambient sound plays, but the dialog does not, UNLESS I engage 2 channel mix mode, which downright sucks. So I guess i will be returning this. Is there a good alternative version?

2. Jonathan Dagmar

Uhg. Nevermind. It seems the speaker wire for my center channel had become dislodged. Now which cat did it?

One thing I am still a little upset about is the cheap plastic trays that Alliance Atlantis has used inside the package. Is there anywhere I can order better quality replacements?

3. Jonathan Dagmar

well i did a little research and discovered that it is in fact true that the alliance version has shoddy cheap packaging in general. Grr. wich i'd known before.

Why oh why does alli-atlantis feel the need to **** fuck with everything they get there hands on?

I can deal with an added french track. I won't listen to it, but i dont mind it being there. I can deal with an alliance logo inserted before the new line logo. That's all ok.

I can even deal with bilingual packaging *most* of the time, so long as it is not intrusive, ala Universal.

What I can't deal with is being presented with an inferiror product, that *pretends* to be the same. Pulp Fiction may be the same movie, and same transfer, but the box is made of cheap flimsy cardboard, and even cheaper plastic.

It makes me wonder how many other supposedly identical alliance version have been ***** with. Like my beloved extended editions of the two towers and fellowship. The box itself is obviously made by new line, but the insert and the disc have been printed by alliance atlantis. I have already noted that the bilingial inserts are incositent between the films, two towers is a matte finish parchment type paper, while the insert in fellowship is glossy. Is this in keeping with the american versions?

I used to respect alliance atlantis. but crap like this, coupled with there recent abandonement off all canadian productions has me changing my mind fast.

So where is a good place to order the american version of pulp fiction?

4. Eric Meske

Eric Meske Stunt Coordinator

That's what I guessed the problem was. The same exact thing happened to me the other day when I put in Finding Nemo.

[​IMG]

5. Michael Holmes

Michael Holmes Auditioning

You have no idea how many emails and letters I have mailed to Alliance Atlantis complaining about their packaging methods.

I was ignored every time, save for this one instance when they emailed me back saying "We will take your opinion into consideration". Unfortunately, this was 6 months ago.

If only there was an Alliance Atlantis-related employee on the HTF so we could complain to them directly, since these people obviously don't care about the customer's opinion...

6. Jonathan Dagmar

I am sick to the teeth of them. Now that they are closing off respected Canadian Production hows, not the least of which is Salter Street Film (Bowling for Columbine, This Hour Has 22 Minutes), I just can't stand them now.

I am still wondering about those LotR inserts, can anyone comfirm or deny my suspitions? I hope my obsesive compulsive nature won't force me to re-buy American version of these sets, but I will if Alliance has cut corners with them too.

By the way, could a moderator please alter the headline to better reflect the content of this thread? Perhaps "Alliance Atlantis, Pulp Fiction and packagin woes"?

7. Jonathan Dagmar

just thought I'd ask if anyone has a suggestion of somehwere I can order this and be sure that I am not getting the Alliance version?

8. Keitha_R

Keitha_R Auditioning

Bought my Special Edition @ Media Play. Very Nice! [​IMG]

9. Jonathan Dagmar

does media play have a URL?

10. Keitha_R

Keitha_R Auditioning

Sorry, they won't let me post a URL 'cause I'm new here. Just take a look at Media Play.com and it will guide you through. Hope this is what you are looking for!! Let me know if I am missing something - still new ya know, but I haven't been able to connect Alliance to this Special Version anywhere![​IMG]

11. Jonathan Dagmar

No, you're not missing something. I don't think so anyway.

See, it used to be that for the films Aliiance had the rights to in Canada, they would just distribute the EXACT same product as in the US, with the addition of a little sticker on the box with their address.

But in the last year or so, Alliance has been getting really fancy, and manufactuering their own bilingual packaging for many releases (though not all). Pulp Fiction is the worst I've seen, at first glance it is the same ads the Mirmax version, but upon closer inspection the box is much more flimsy, and the plastic trays that hold the discs are not the good quality industry standard strays found in Lord of the Rings Extended, etc, but an Alliance branded product that is pure garbage.

12. Keitha_R

Keitha_R Auditioning

Thanks for YOUR help. That's some good info to remember. Have you had a chance to check Media Play out? That's where I do most of my DVD shopping. There is one about 20min from here. Prices are pretty competitive too. (Always a + )

13. Jonathan Dagmar

where are you located? Just wondering where mediaplay is 20 minutes from...

14. Keitha_R

Keitha_R Auditioning

I'm in Shelby, NC. Media Play is located in Gastonia, NC (originally from Gastonia). Not a bad drive.

15. Jonathan Dagmar

Would be a fair trek for me though...

16. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Speaking of AA packaging (I have the flimsy PF and JB packages too), AA denies having corrected their Traffic package, though I have seen it with my own eyes. And I can live with the glued on paper to the LotR EE packages...it's when they screw with the disc content that I get mad, though I must say I haven't had a problem with that for a fair time now, maybe at least 6 months. I could live with their often inferior product when the Canadian discs cost like 60% of the U.S. versions, but now it's a lot closer in price.

17. Keitha_R

Keitha_R Auditioning

I guess it wouldn't be just a leisurely Sunday drive for you. Where in Canada are you located?
    As far as pricing, what do LE DVD's run there?
    My Pulp Fiction was around $20-$22 not bad at all for all the special features. Do the AA versions have the great special features, or do they just conveniently leave them out?

18. Keitha_R

Keitha_R Auditioning

By the way, I meant to ask about the term "trek".
    Can't say I've heard that one before!

19. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

I can't stand the way AA messes with the packaging. To be honest, the thing that angers me about it the most is the French title being printed on the spine. This has made me order many titles from the US so I have English on the spine only.

About the LotR:TTT EE. The paper was glued on to the back of mine too. I totally ruined the back of the box by taking it off. I emailed AA about it, they emailed me back asking for my mailing address... 23 hours later I had a brand new box. [​IMG]

That still doesn't make up for the French on the spine of other releases though. [​IMG]

20. Jonathan Dagmar

Andy? Could you tell me what email adress you contacted Alliance by?

I am really irritated by the way the extended edition boxes have been ruined by thier stupid paper as well, and if they will replace it for me,....

Keitha: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=trek

I am from Vancouver. As for the Alliance versions: Typically they only mess with the packaging, the disc content is almost always the same with the addition of their own logos inserted before the movie starts, and sometimes a spanish track replaced with a french one.