What's new

Alliance Atlantis future releases... (1 Viewer)

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm after a list of titles Alliance will potentially screw up. Anybody know of any?

In particular, Austin Powers Goldmember and Minority Report?

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
I presume with Goldmember Alliance will replace the English 2.0 surround track with a French one as this is their standard practice on New Line releases. If they do sleeve will then be bilingual.
Also I believe it will not come in the blue amray case you get on the US version.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
One canadian online retailer who has Goldmember in stock and actually lists if any products carry bilingual packaging confirms Alliance have Frenched up the cover for Goldmember yes.

I'm pretty sure you can expect Minority Report to be bilingual too, although it's not from Alliance/Atlantis, just purely a descision by Universal Home Video.

Dan

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Guys, FYI, I just saw an ad to buy a new cell phone or something. I think the deal is that you buy the phone and get a free copy of Goldmember.
Anyway, they had a scan of the Goldmember boxart (shown so you could see the front and the spine.) I'm afraid it too is another victim of bilingual packaging. From what I could tell, the design is very much like the Blade II packaging, where the front cover is pretty much untouched but the spine has two versions of the title (the one being flipped around). I couldn't tell if they both said the same thing (like Blade II) or if the other version was French.
I'm assuming the back is a mess like Blade II as well. :frowning:

Ian Ramos

Agent
I'm pretty sure you can expect Minority Report to be bilingual too, although it's not from Alliance/Atlantis, just purely a descision by Universal Home Video.
Isn't MR a Dreamworks/Fox movie? Does Universal own Dreamworks? I would think it would be similar to the AI cover.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Universal Home Video distribute all Dreamworks content on VHS and DVD. It was part of the deal when Dreamworks became a studio... Given Fox only hold international home video rights to the film, the domestic R1 DVD in the US and Canada will be a produce of Universal Home Video/Dreamworks.

A.I just came out before UHV started to push bilingual cover art. There is still a chance one MIGHT get lucky with an all English cover for the Canadian R1, but I am not risking it and am getting the US disc.

Dan

Rob T

Screenwriter
I ended up getting Blade 2 from the states the cover looked so bad up here. :frowning:
I noticed The Crow: Collector's Edition is finally out up here too. and the cover art was of course all messed up with French. :frowning:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is sad. Canada, though it is more multilingual than bilingual, officially has two founding languages: English and French. It is mandated by law that French appear on packaging in Canada. I have not particularly found the French labeling to be as bad as it is being portrayed here. The French labeling on the front of the packages generally is in a relatively unobtrusive font. I have not found it to be that distracting or damaging to the jacket designs. When it comes to packaging I have bigger problems with bad art design than I do with whether French appears on the package. For example, I thought that the art used on the "WATERSHIP DOWN" cover stank. Warner Bros. could have used the "Bigwig caught in a snare" poster art but chose to use some uninspired piece of "Saturday morning" art. Crappy box art bothers me more than French on the covers.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
It is mandated by law that French appear on packaging in Canada.
This is what I thought as well but certain studios do not abide by this rule. Warner Bros, Columbia-Tristar and 20th Century Fox for instance. :confused:
Why is it that some studios are doing this and not others?

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ they are, but they release 2 separate versions instead of a bilingual one.
Here's a general rule of how each company do their covers.
EDIT: it doesn't say Alliance Atlantis but they use bilingual packaging.
The bilingual cover doesn't bother me that much...I've learned to ignore it like on every other product in Canada :)

Ian Ramos

Agent
They don't really bother me either, but the Blade II cover for instance, annoyed me somewhat. The french is the same as the english. Argh. They didn't have to ugly that cover up.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Why don't they use a double sided printed cover? I think 'The English Patient" dvd is presented this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks