All you SVS owners are insane!!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by LaMarcus, Jan 20, 2004.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

These SVS subs are too powerful!!! Man, I've fallen back in love with my sub, and it's the lowest on the totem pole (25-31pci). I relocated my theater to the living room while my basement theater is being remodeled, and OH MY GOD!! The bass response I'm getting from this sub being on the first floor is insane!!! I mean I had to turn the gain down and recalibrate, because my living room is smaller than my basement theater. My theater in the basement is 11'(w)x 28'(l) x 7.5'(h), my living room is 11'x18'x9', and it sounds so much better up there. I'd like to have a bass head explain that one further to me.

I finally understand what you guys were talking about when you said clean acturate bass, one reason is because my basement theater walls are not solid, and the drop ceiling seems as if it's going to fall apart when the sub is going.

So, the reason I say you guys are insane is beacause I have the lowest of the low with SVS, and most of you have the plus's, and ultra's, and etc. You guy's are crazy, I can't imagine getting more bass than what the lowest one is putting out. I thought about moving up and going dual, but this one by it's self already is so loud upstairs (when listening downstairs), shaking windows, doors, and pictures.

Help me understand what going up in class with SVS does, when does it become splitting hairs, or just plain insanity[​IMG]. Because I know you guys have better constructed theaters than mine, and some of you have them in living rooms like mine is now, but your pushing so much more sub than me, what's gives?

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Actually it ssems you LR is bigger[taller]then your basement room,also I bet it has wooden floors,and your basement is concrete.?
    I have just a bit larger room but with 2 openings to the kitchen/dining room and long halway.It eats up bass fast.
    My DIY subs would roughly equall to 4 CS-20-39+'s.
    I'm currently thinking to upgrade to 6X15" Stryke based IB sub to be placed in the attick.

3. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious. How does it sound turned way down in its new digs - any more or less desireable sound quality?

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

LaMarcus, it's just like everything else you can buy (ie - law of depreciating returns.) The difference between the PCultra and the PCi isn't noticable at normal levels (say, watching TV with the kids.) It's when you approach reference levels and beyond (loud!) that you can notice the difference between the drivers. The Ultras and Plus drivers with have a lower Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) than your PCi driver and so will stay 'tight' sounding at higher sound levels. That, and the greater amp power does help the sub feel more effortless, meaning it fills more space with bass without straining.

So the difference between an ultra, plus, and a PCi for your room is probably negligible at all but extreme volumes. The lows would be no lower and the floor would shake just about as much.

People have different needs, but most folks tend to *really* overpurchase what they need for their HTs. Like some folks will stack two PB2+s on top of one another to increase the output; what are they filling with sound, a school auditorium? [​IMG]

I bought a 20-39 PC+ to provide bass for a 22'x 21' x 9' HT, and I could have likely switched to a PCi and probably never noticed a difference. But each to his own (this was all IMHO), enjoy that sub!

5. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Whoops! I edited that first post of mine, I typoed the 2 in 28 for the living room, was supposed to be a 1 for 18. Both rooms were carpeted, but the basement had a drop ceiling, and the drywall was not insulated.

Keith, when I turn it down the bass sounds as if it becomes stronger when in the basement. In the living room it stays strong through out, haven't played it at reference level yet (with movies). In the basement it still have a decent kick to it, but it seemed at bit lacking when the volume increased, which lead me to think I needed two.

6. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

Too bad I didn´t read this thread before ordering a "SVS PC Plus 16-46" this morning for my apartment..
    [​IMG]

7. terence

terence Supporting Actor

LOL! [​IMG] Your neigbors are going to hate you.

8. Niko Nykanen

Well actually I live wall to wall with my landlord... He can come home 03:00 and put on AC/DC on a saturday night and listen it for a while. Loudly.
    [​IMG]

One of my fave moments was when I was watching the first scene of Gladiator and then switching to Matrix. While playing the scene where Trinity flew thru the window while chased by agents the doorbell rang.
    It was Mr Landlord, a bit drunk as it was saturday night 02:30

"What´s going on?"
    "I´mm uuuhh... Watching Matrix"
    "Oh cool, It´s my favorite movie! Can I come in?!?!?"
    "Uuuhh.. Sure."

While in he instructs me to up the volume."
    No prob dude!
    [​IMG]

2 hours later we both parted, drunk.

The other neighbor is pretty tolerant too but maybe not like that. He has never complained yet.
    [​IMG]

9. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Niko, you are lucky to have neighbors like that. Luckily, I am a homeowner, so if the tenant has a problem, TOO BAD. LOL. Anyway, she's not home much at night anyway, so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

10. Niko Nykanen

I am aware of my lucky position. The downside is that I know it´s not gonna last forever. Girlfriend, moving together, kids, new neighbors, future SVS.. All those could wreck my position as a lucky HTF:er
    [​IMG]

11. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I am extremely lucky to have great neighbors. I have a 25-31PCi and I run everything around 75bd and my neighbors say they can't hear or feel a thing. I make it a point remind them that if it does bother them to let me know, as they have young children.

12. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

That's a lot of bass, I'd love to have a neighbor who could appreciate the value of a good sub, and a DD/DTS track.[​IMG]

13. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

that's an awesome story, man.

although none of my neighbours have ever dropped by to watch movies with me, they've also never complained at all about noise. ever. and that's despite my watching movies at reference level and beyond with a B4+ (i had some guys from work over watching matrix: reloaded a while back, and the concrete floors of my apartment were shaking)...

lucky me.

14. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

LaMarcus, you are only filling a 1782 sq. ft. room with a single 25-31pci. Most of us have a slightly larger room to fill. [​IMG]

My dual 20-39CS+'s (powered by a Samson 1000) has to fill up my 8000 sq. ft. room! It does the job quite nicely I might add.... [​IMG]

15. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

John I checked your theater, you have some pretty serious sound in there, very impressive. You have the exact setup that I wanted when I first got into this hobby, every thing except the tv. I bet it sounds excellent!!(not to mention that picture looks really good also).

16. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I have a 1316.25 cu-ft room with a PR'd Tumult with 2400W on it. What does that make me? [​IMG]

17. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    LaMarcus,

Just think, a little less than a year ago, you were talking me out of buying 2 CS Ultras! Talk about overpurchasing for my theater!

(I still regret going for less.)[​IMG]

George

18. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Yeah George, your still nuts, you would have torn the rafters down outta that place.[​IMG]

19. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

LaMarcus,

Hey man...you need to bring your SVS down here so I can hear it with my maggies. At least you won't have to lug it up the stairs!!

I got a new DVD-A I found in Sound & Vision, It's made by Chesky Records and has some insane sounds on it. Four of the tracks are heartbeats recorded at 50, 40, 30, and 20Hz. The 20Hz sound is way softer than the rest with my PW-2200. And my maggies go really high....so I need to go really low. I want a SVS....but I'd love to hear one with my maggies first!!

Can you help a fellow out??

20. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

you can sell me yours and upgrade if you want