All-you-can-eat-Brazillian-buffet - good idea or not?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I am currently suffering from meat-overdose after dining at Fogo de Chao (Atlanta), and while the meat was certainly enjoyable going down to my tummy, it's plenty full and I'm feeling it.

This was is an all-you-can-eat Brazillian buffet and it offers beef/lamb/chicken/pork in at least 10 different ways, and it's pretty good, but it's very easy to over indulge as well. Plus you get a nice salad bar, along with an everlasting supply of rolls, fried planktins(?), mashed potatoes as side items.

I think this'll be a once-a-year (max) dining event for me.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Business associates took me to one of those places in Sao Paulo for lunch several years ago. Pretty good, but way too much.

3. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

Toss in a half-dozen mojitos, until then you haven't really over-indulged[​IMG]

They're fried plantains. Much like bananas, but a little more starchy and a little less sweet. They try to fill you up with the salad, rolls and potatoes...

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I live close to Pichana, in Burbank. I went there once, and it was fun (the meat-bearing waiters were mighty cute[​IMG] ). But, I wouldn't indulge in it very often. I left there feeling very glutinous and very full.

5. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I did it plenty when in Brazil but go to Texas de Brazil only when the company pays. Filet Mignon non-stop, how can I refuse another?

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

The best office party/dinner I've been to was at my last employer 2 years ago, we went to Fogo de Chao and I ate like I've never eaten before. For me, that's about as good as a restaurant can be. .

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Curiously enough, I wake up today, and I'm hungry. I guess I didn't over-indulge as much as I thought I did.

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Hey Pamela, the HTF 2004 Meet particpants were treated to lunch by THX at the same location and I heard more than one guy remark about the cute female wait staff! I guess there's a sort of a theme going besides neverending meat on sticks. [​IMG]

9. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Wow. I must go there. Next time I'm in Atlanta, Pat, you're showing me where this place is and I'm buying [​IMG]

10. Parker

Parker Agent

I live in Burbank and go to Picanha often. These brazilian all-you-can-eat grills are called churrascarias. I've eaten at 3 different ones and Picanha is actually the best I've been to. I could pay the full amount and just eat those cheesebread balls they serve.

11. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

I was just considering Picanha in Burbank, I can't believe this topic came up [​IMG]

I have a 15% off coupon so i just might check it out. Anyone remember their prices offhand?

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The place I went to last night run about $50 with tip figured in. Like I said, at best an annual dinner event...

13. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

If I recall correctly, dinner is $25, plus drinks. Lunch is cheaper.

14. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

I've never even heard of an all-you-can-eat Brazilian place, but of course we don't even have one in MS. Sounds like it was great, Pat! Glad to hear that you didn't get sick or anything. That usually happens to me if I've over-indulged in too much Chinese, Italian, or Mexican food, especially the Chinese and Mexican buffets. I've learned to just eat enough so I'm full and not gorge myself. Of course, sometimes I don't take my own advice, like at last week's office Christmas party. My wife and I stuffed ourselves so much, we didn't need to eat dinner at all. [​IMG]

15. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

Nice, thanks Pamela [​IMG]

Bill: check out this website for some insight on what a brazillian buffet is: http://www.picanharestaurant.com/index.php

I looked it up when I got the coupon from the place- warning: it will make your mouth water! Well it did for me at least [​IMG]

16. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

They have these places in Chicago too. In addition to Fogo de Chao downtown, there is also a new chain called Sal and Carvao that is essentially the same thing. Definitely a once or twice year thing though...

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Here's the Fogo de Chao webpage.

To quote Homer Simpson: Mmmm...beef...

18. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I was just there last week while in Atlanta for work on a 3 week training session. Great restaurant,and I can definitely relate to your experience Patrick. I felt that I had eaten more there than I ever had before in one sitting.

19. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I went to one in Tulsa. Excellent [​IMG]

The price is $22 not including drinks. Certainly not extravagent(I've heard Fogo De Chao is more expensive..) but its different and quite good.

Heck its hard enough to get a good Filet Mignon for $22 including the extras let alone All I can eat.

20. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I've been to both Fogo de Chao and Sal & Carvao and while the meat was delicious, I felt the meals were not balanced. Way too meat heavy. The only potato choice was a weak mashed offering, and not much in the salad bar appealed to me. I believe they were both around $45 for dinner (plus drinks).