all you cable makers out there, could you post some audio and video cables and tools?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Judy Y, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

I have seen Chris White's DIY cable page and it looks easy enough. I just can't seem to get past paying so LITTLE money for the cables and such a BUNDLE for the tools.

Anyone else out there make their own cables with less expensive tools? I am hoping to make video and audio cables and am looking for suggestions there too. I really want to stick with crimp on connectors- any suggestions there would be appreciated as well!

I like the canare cable and connectors- but the expensive tools seem to be a necessity. Anyone use other descent crimp on connectors on canare cable that don't require the canare tools?

Thanks!

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

3. Andrew Low

Andrew Low Extra

> but the expensive tools seem to be a necessity.

From what I've read on the web -- it seems that Canare is one of the few 'crimp type' connectors that does it right. So while there may be other crip connectors, they are not as good as the Canare by far.

You can use the solder type connectors which are a lot cheaper, and with some soldering skill -- you can get an excellent connection.

If you want to crimp, I think Canare is the only way to go.

Roo

4. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Consider the tools part of the cable cost. So your 1st cable is expensive and they go down from there.

I made a cable (using Chris White's secret recipe) for someone who said it was as good or better than his $150-200 cable. I've made at least 10 (mostly for myself) now so the per cable price isn't that bad. It's well worth it.

Rob

5. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

Well, springing for good tools in the beginning can save a lot of cursing later. Cheap crimping tools can cause you to eat a lot of connectors before obtaining a good crimp (not pleasant considering the cost of connectors). A ratchet-type crimper may seem expensive, but being able to put a consistently good crimp really pays off in the end.

The same goes with wire strippers. Nothing worse that ending up with too short a cable because the wire stripper caused you to keep clipping the end off and trying again.

Bill

6. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I'll add to the praise on the Canare TS-100E stripper. This tool is impressive and works very well. This tool alone is the ONE must have. You can get it for less than $100 from HAVE. I'd double up and get some other stuff at the same time to cut down on the shipping costs.

7. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replies. I really want to get into this- making cables, that is. Over the years I have spent incredible amounts of money on average cables and it makes sense to just make my own. But it is good to know that canare is the way to go. (And I DO want to stick with crimping.)

THANKS!