All Yamaha S2300 owners,please post comments here!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adams, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I am so on the fence about the purchase of this player. It looks to be one great player. And as my main use of the player will be for movie watching, that looks to be the strongest asset of this player. However as many of you know, the S&V article has scared a lot of people including myself with the high noise level reported by them. Is there any noise problems that you guys hear? There is nothing more that drives me crazy than to hear a low volume passage in a movie or song and hear a bunch of hiss coming out of my speakers. I don't want to hear any hiss!

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

None, nada, zip, zilch. Everything sounds great on this player. I hope other magazines review this player soon and report the results on the noise. It'd be nice to see if this was specific to their player.

3. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

I don't have the S2300, but I'd like to say something about the Sound & Vision "noise" figures.

"Excess noise" for DVD-A is normal. Perfect 144dB performance for a 24-bit system is not possible due to thermal noise in electronics. The Yamaha S2300 supposedly is 48.1dB away from that level, leaving roughly 96dB of performance (16-bit performance).

I believe this is the same as saying -76dB noise with respect to a -20dBFS signal.

This is not very good for a 24-bit system, as it is barely better than a 16-bit system. Still the frequency response of DVD-A will extend further than conventional CD for sampling rates above 44.1kHz.

I don't know what they mean by noise modulation being 3.5dB.

Overall, the DVD-A testing for the S2300 unit that S&V tested seems to be poor, considering that you're paying for a 24-bit system and not getting much beyond 16-bits.

The SACD side, however has a noise level of -93.3dB with respect to a -20dBFS signal (meaning that noise is -113.3dB quieter than a full-blast signal) and this approximates the performance of a perfect 18-bit PCM system.

As for noisy Dolby Digital, that's a moot point anyway.

I'd be interested in seeing other reports on this unit too.
    -JNS

4. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Are the 2300's getting easier to find yet? Keith, where did you get yours? Somewhere around Dallas I would imagine?

Are they selling them online yet for a decent price? I can get Ultimate to order me one for about $940, which is not a big deal.

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Does this unit...

Do bass management right?

Have the chroma bug?

6. Michael St. Clair

7. Keith Mickunas

I bought mine from a dealer I know in Kansas City, and he had only six units come in at the beginning of the month and all were sold.

Bass management has issues. I had another thread about this and the problems I found. For one thing, you can't redirect the sub to the mains. So its not perfect. I don't know for certain if it redirects low frequencies from the other speakers to the mains, or if it duplicates them. Also, if you use the jack on the back labeled LFE/bass management rather than the regular sub output, bass management your sub will receive a signal regardless of your speaker settings or the tracks you play. I've e-mailed Yamaha to get clarification, and I got a response from someone yesterday asking me to call or e-mail him directly. Hopefully I'll hear back during the week.

8. Michael St. Clair

It shouldn't be too hard to find out if it is duplicating instead of routing the bass from the mains. Of course it would be really easy with a test-disc. With my mains, if I am familiar with the material, it is very easy to disconnect the sub and tell if anything below 80 or 100hz is still going to the mains. Forcing the player into DVD-V mode and doing tests between MLP and DD/DTS/LPCM could help also.

9. Keith Mickunas

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with most of my DVD-Audio discs. Plus those with an LFE track won't sound right. I could try the stereo stuff and see what I think. But I can't be certain that what I'm hearing isn't supposed to be there based on the crossover.

10. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Jagan, you have ehard the 2300 though, did you notice any noise? I surely didn't.

Yes it does do BM properly, at least I have no complaints about it.

and no chroma bug either.

But I also have a question i need answered. My player will not output a test tone to the sub woofer..... it is all hooked up properly, the sub is quite active on DVD-A and DD or DTS tracks, but just no test tone, this bothers me a great deal, can someone help?

11. Keith Mickunas

I can't get a test tone either, I just don't think there's one there.

12. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Thats the thing i got one when i listened to it at the store bought it.... but as far as i know everythign is set up the same....

13. AlanWms

AlanWms Stunt Coordinator

John,

I no longer have a S2300, but when calibrating BM I had no test tone either for the sub. Search through the manual, somewhere is says no test tone for the sub.

Alan

14. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

15. Frank Cheh

Frank Cheh Extra

Bought mine at Interstate Electronics, Hazlet NJ ask for Bob L 732-264-3900 cannot say what I paid but it was a very good deal. Have been using unit for the last two days, comming from JVC, Marantz, Panasonic this is by far the best money that I have spent on DVD/CD equipment. Using with Marantz AV-9000/MM-9000, M&K S90 speakers 125 SUB and JVC 36 new model TV-not HD. Had to reprogram Marantz 5000i remote-that took two days but it sure beats replacing/using other remotes. Back to the S2300, test sound does not play through sub channel according to manual. Setup for DVD/DVDA was easy but did notice that depending on the disk (see manual page 30 see NOTES) speaker settings might not work due to programing lock on disk, SACD was a tad bit more confusing (new to SACD)have to select MULTI/2CH mode before you start to play disk. BM is done by reducing the output to the front channels, not increasing output to sub ( see page 32 NOTES). Best sound is to setup for (MLTCH DIRECT page 31 #3) output, no speaker management sub will still work by combining all channels. Over all unit has great picture, great sound-dead quiet and you get rid of some cables.