What's new

All Xbox and Component Video help me ASAP!! (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
OK, here's my scenerio. I have an Xbox, and I recently purchased this television---->

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=26

It's a 36" Toshiba with ColorStream component inputs. On the back of the television, it has inputs for both S-video, and one set of inputs for Colorstream (which looks like 3 seperate colored inputs specifically for video).

I want to hook my Xbox up to this television, so should I buy the S-video cables and connect it using the s-video?

Or should I buy the HDTV pack, (even though the television doesn't support HDTV), and connect it through the ColorStream component input??

My question is, which one out the 2 will give me a better picture quality?? Will the HDTV wires work better because I can hook it up using 3 cables for the video alone (even though I don't have a HDTV?)??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
kurt,
In general, component cables will result in the best possible picture, especially with gaming systems. I am not familiar with the HDTV pack, or the Xbox for that matter, but use components if you can. If you cannot use component cables the S-Video connection will do you just fine as it is only believed to result is a five percent picture degradation.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Buy the HD pack and connect it to the Colorstream (or component) input on ur set. I have the same set-up on my 65HX81. With this, u can also avail of the progressive output on the Xbox..which makes it even better....if ur set has the Colorstream Pro or HD thingy which supports prog scan. If not, then I firmly suggest u replace it with one that has. I've already looked at the specs at the Toshiba site and it doesn't say that. Now this is just my opinion but shelling out a few more hundred would probably be a good bet....Again just my honest opinion....

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you will want to purchase the HDTV pack to use component video
Ok, can you clear this up for me?

There is an "Advanced AV Kit" for $20 that plugs into the XBox and provides component outputs. Is this what you mean by "HDTV pack"?

Then you use the Video setup screen on the XBox to tell it to use normal/interlace video vs progressive?

Now the big question: The "Advanced AV Kit" has rather flimsey wires that appear un-shielded. Monster makes a series of special cables that provide true shielded cables, extra long and thick. Does this cable give you the option to send progressive video from the XBox?

Note: regular readers know I'm not a huge Monster fan, but I have to say that the construction/design of their XBox cables is much, much better than the official cable sets from Microsoft.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
no, my television IS NOT a HDTV. It does not support high-definition.

But it does have a component input in the back of it.

Would I get a better picture out of my Xbox if I used the s-video kit, or the HDTV kit (even though my TV isn't a HDTV).

Thanks!

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
still go with the HDTV kit

It sounds from the above posts that this kit will simply give you the ability to use component video cables to connect to the TV. It will not matter that your TV does not support HDTV you just won't be able to use some of the fancier modes that some Xbox games support.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
The Advance Kit ONLY has S-Video output along with optical out for dolby digital. The HDTV kit has component output and also has optical out.

Kirt, you want to get the HDTV kit, it doesn't matter that you don't have a true HDTV. Its the only kit that provides component outputs.

Hope this helps.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I must agree with Bob on the quality of the component cables that came along with the HD pack. I use Canare cables and interconnects....'nuff said.

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
I chose to use the Monster Cable w/proprietary optical cable. Yes, it was considerably more expensive but I too agree with Bob in that they are better built over the Microsoft product.

With the Microsoft adapter you have to plug it onto the Xbox then run component cable from the Microsoft adapter to your TV or receiver.

With the Monster setup you just run their cables directly to the TV or receiver.

Either setup will work and many argue whether you would even notice a difference in PQ.

-Jeramy

TomHansen

Agent
I've been using the same setup for a while, and WOW! Halo really rocks in Surround rather than normal stereo.

Can't wait to Halo2 to try that one out :)

Tom Hansen

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, splinter cell sounds great too. btw, i use my xbox for my dvd playing, do you suggest that?

is there really a big difference between my xbox's dvd playing capability compared to a stand alone player??

thanks, kurt

The cables on the Advanced HD pack are not so great. However, you do not need to use the Microsoft cables. You can plug any ole' component cable into the HD pack and you'll be okay. Personally, I recommend Accoustic Research Pro series from www.accessories4less.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks