What's new

All we are is cyclists in the wind.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Sorry to all you Kansas fans....
Just came back from my 2nd century in two weeks... Today was supposed to be the flat century cause it's down in central NJ, whereas last week's Ramapo Rally was the hilly century. Gee, I thought today was going to be an easy spin. But nooooooooooo, the weather gods decide to blow freakin' tropical depression like winds and every single one of them was like a headwind. It's like perpetually going uphill without the downhill reward. Whooooooosssh. I think people were resorting to taching in order to get anywhere... Even after all that, I managed to finish the 103 miles in about 5 1/2 hours on my new Seven. A 18.5mph average, in the beginning I thought I was going to be pushing 20+ but then the winds came around. I had a flat around mile 23 and started bonking at mile 83 cause I wasn't eating that much. Not the rides fault, these guys had the 2nd best food in the rest areas. 2nd to the Orange County Bike Club's one. They had apple pie and pumpkin pie and Clif bars and Costco muffins (hmmmmm...costco muffins :yum :)
Jay

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Jay, you are truly an inspiration. There's a girl at work who recently did several hundred miles on her week off, and I'm in awe at the commitment that take. I feel much better about myself when I manage 40 minute on a stairclimber and treadmill!

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I hear ya, Jay. The first 2 days of my Labor Day weekend quad century we had a stiff (~15-20MPH) wind out of the north. The first day's route went NW and the 2nd days ride went due north. Days 3 and 4 were nice, though. Hilly, but nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks