What's new

All-time best DVD packaging? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Now that we have opinions on what the worst packaging is (in other words, packaging misdeeds), what (in your opinion) would be at least one example of the best DVD packaging (in other words, what companies have done it right, and for which series)?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I like old style trays (like The Simpsons: S1-5 or the original releases of The X-Files or 24: S1-4) but for space reasons, I think the double slimline cases (like most of Fox's current sets) are the best.

My prediction is that this thread will be much shorter than any of the ones complaining about packaging.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Why do you think that it will be shorter? Do you mean by that prediction that most companies don't do it correctly anymore? If they did it correctly these days, perhaps this thread would be longer. Evidently, as the length of the thread on packaging misdeeds would prove, most companies don't do it correctly anymore.

By the way, as far as this thread is concerned, one of my favorites would have to be the slimcases. One or two singles or doubles per case would have to be one of my ideals of good packaging.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It just's the nature of the internet where people like complaining more than complimenting.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
There's lots of bad packaging threads but I don't see many (if any) threads about good packaging.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I like the packaging where there are two discs per case (slim). Adam-12 (Shout!), Andromeda (Slipstream Collection), The Brady Bunch, and Charmed (original DVD release) are examples of excellent packaging IMO.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I was very happy with The Dick Van Dyke dvd sets. Great content and I love the slim cases.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I'd say that a lot of Shout! Factory releases, from what I've seen, have excellent packaging (Blossom, Adam-12, Father Knows Best, and even upcoming releases such as My Two Dads, Mr. Belvedere, and Room 222, just to name a few).

Wezzo

Second Unit
Those cases that hold up to six DVDs in one single-width case. Most common in R4, I think, but CBS/Paramount have done a few (I think Early Edition might be one? They've done a lot of 4-disc sets in them - Sabrina, the recent Cheers sets, etc.)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
any case that arrives in the mail with all the discs safely attached are considered the best DVD packaging in my house.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yeah, that's a good point. I would say around 50%-60% of all titles that arrive at my home are in excellent condition (meaning they do not need to be returned). I would also estimate that about half of all sets that arrive have chipped or cracked cases, dented boxes, or both. Thank goodness for return policies.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Yes, "Early Edition" is one. My only beef with those is that you have to take the first and/or last discs out to see the episode information for the set. Otherwise, they're good on space, and seem to hold discs securely.

Overall, I prefer the slimpacks, or double-slimpacks, with episode information on the outside of each sleeve.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I love The Real Ghostbusters Complete Series, not only does the box look cool but the 25 discs are in 5 steel books that hold 5 discs each! No flimsly cardboard or worry about discs getting scratched!

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit

Yup, those for me too. Compact and uniform = perfect.
Dynasty Season 2 is the example I always use; a six disc set in ONE regular sized amaray case with no overlapping discs. Genius! :emoji_thumbsup:

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
For me it is a tie between the 2-Disc THINpaks and the 4 to 6 disc keepcases that are as thin as a normal movie keepcase. (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Friday the 13th: The Series) :D:emoji_thumbsup:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I agree with those above whose idea of best packaging is two disks in plastic thinpacks, with the thinpacks in a cardboard case. The disks are safe and easy to get at. I don't need plastic Homer Simpson cases, kapok-filled Northern Exposure cases, or bulbous Star Trek boxes.

God protect me from creative disk packagers!

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I like the new Cheers (several discs in one super slim set). Great space saver.

But also really like the LOST BluRay sets. Very nice.

But for absolute nicest package of all-time, hands down has to be "Freaks and Geeks" Yearbook Edition. Brilliant!!! (And the best TV show too)

Great, great, great package that is designed just like a high school yearbook. The photography and liner notes are incredible. The 2 extra bonus discs (not available in the regular non-yearbook set) are LOADED with substantial and quality bonus features. This is not a small set, but it is the nicest and best.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Going with the crowd, I like the double thinpaks (as used in most of Shout's releases, and Universal's recent Emergency Season 5), and Paramount's 4-6 disc case that's the size of a regular keepcase. Even their seven disc cases that are roughly the size of an old double DVD set case are good.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's much more fun talking about the worst packaging. Venting is fun.

I've enjoyed many of the BCI Ink& Paint packaging I've gotten. I think the Dungeons & Dragons is the best overall packaging and DVD set I've ever gotten for an old cartoon. Nice work on that one. Looks like an old D&D box you'd buy in the days when it was popular. And everything is lovingly put together and a thrill to take out every now and then, look at, or just watch the episodes, which I've been milking like it's the last beer and I'm on the TV show Survivor. Impressive on all counts and captures the spirit of the show beautifully. :up:

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
For gimmick packaging, I'd say the filing cabinet for the complete Homicide: Life on the Street. It holds the seven cases holding the seven seasons + bonus disc as if they were files, with cardboard separators for each case that are actually indices with summaries of every episode. And it simply slides out, so no worries about cardboard hinges breaking.

The Man From Uncle briefcase is nice, but in the long run it's probably going to break apart at the cardboard hinge. With the 'filing cabinet', much less likely.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have the opening two-pack of "Moonlighting," and the book format used for it (with each of six single-sided discs on both sides of three clear panels) has held up very well, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks