What's new

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I actually snuck down last May (because my wife had a conference to attend at Vero Beach--which is another awesome place!).

I had to take it really easy and all...but it was a cool thing to be able to do.

I don't want to open up a huge sidebar discussion (I should probably post some kind of update in that old thread which was tracking my progress) but I was recently cleared by my doctors for nearly full normal activity. I've still got to be careful about my "core" given the last few surgeries...but I am pretty much back to full regular activity.

Thanks for asking, Aaron! I am quite blessed--in many ways.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Feel free to go down the tangets, Mike. I doubt anyone here would fault you for it. :)

This isn't an official Disney release, but there is an ongoing series of digital releases with EPCOT pavilion music available.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Vero Beach, eh? Maybe I should check that out; it's only about an hour and a half from here.

We took the train into Orlando (wife won't fly) and rented a car to drive to Vero Beach and then back to Orlando. On the drive to Orlando, I took US 1 up the coast and was so glad I did...it was freakin' awesome! Hugged the shoreline the entire way up. So cool!

Our time at Vero Beach was spent at the Disney resort there (coincidence). It was spectacular.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Thought it would be worth bumping this thread to note that it is the 60th anniversary of Walt Disney Records:
https://ohmy.disney.com/music/2016/05/18/celebrating-60-years-of-walt-disney-records/

Hell of a time to STOP the finest series of releases they've ever had (yeah, I'm still sore about the premature end of the Legacy Collection.)

They also just did a 60th anniversary Disneyland special that was about everything but Disneyland.* Now the company is honoring their record label's 60th anniversary with what? Some reissues of Annette or anything from the three generations of Mouseketeers? Nope. Some more live-action Sherman Brothers musicals? Uh-uh. Scores from the rest of the animated canon? Yeah sure, but they're coming from Intrada. Reissues of anything as yet unavailable on CD? Nope. They'd even gotten back into vinyl, but now even that's slowed to a halt.

The animated canon still has entries as yet unreleased on Blu-ray (now more than ever, where's The Three Caballeros, for instance?) while they try to repackage the same already-released titles over again, while live-action catalog titles can only be purchased on disc by joining a club.

And all of Iger's heirs to the throne are leaving one by one.

But this, one of the things they had going for them that they actually did right, they had to stop. I was genuinely looking forward to getting actually complete scores and expanded versions of things that were/are only available abridged.

*Meanwhile, for the actual ceremony itself, Ron Miller returned to Disneyland for the first time since his departure from the company.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can't disagree with a single thing in that post, Matthew.

How much of a no brainer would it have been to pick some classic vinyl releases and do a special CD release--much like that handful of discs in the late '90s (the Archive Collection) featuring Louis Prima, Burl Ives, Cliff Edwards, etc.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Kinda sorta, quasi related...

We just bought tickets to see The Little Mermaid on stage on Christmas Eve. The seats were far cheaper than I expected for the area in the theater. Andrey doesn't get super excited over a lot of shows or movies, but when I got the advance notice of TLM coming here, he lit up like a Christmas tree.

Now I'm going to order the CD so I can add it to the collection with Aladdin and Hunchback.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Jason, is that the professional tour or a regional production you will be seeing?

The CD is pretty good, although not all of the new songs blend in as well as those for Aladdin and Hunchback, but I still like it quite a bit. Sierra Boggess (Ariel), Titus Burgess (Sebastian) and especially Norm Lewis (as Triton) are phenomenal.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jason, is that the professional tour or a regional production you will be seeing?

The CD is pretty good, although not all of the new songs blend in as well as those for Aladdin and Hunchback, but I still like it quite a bit. Sierra Boggess (Ariel), Titus Burgess (Sebastian) and especially Norm Lewis (as Triton) are phenomenal.

It's the national tour. https://www.5thavenue.org/show/disneys-the-little-mermaid

I didn't order the CD today...the price seemed a bit high on Amazon, so I'm going to keep looking. We have plenty of time to get it before the show.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The CD is usually expensive these days because it is only available through sellers on Amazon; Disney discontinued it some years ago, which demonstrates how highly they regard this show, or not. It is still available for digital download but I don't think they're pressing new discs.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Jake! I thought a better price would be coming...but I guess not. I think I'll end up getting it now.

Sidenote: there is a new Disney app where you can buy in-park exclusive material. A bunch of CD's are on there, including the PotC ride music, Haunted Mansion, etc. It's called Shop Disney Parks; I can't vouch for their shipping or anything, but it's something new.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sidenote: there is a new Disney app where you can buy in-park exclusive material. A bunch of CD's are on there, including the PotC ride music, Haunted Mansion, etc. It's called Shop Disney Parks; I can't vouch for their shipping or anything, but it's something new.

Gulp.

Downloaded and installed.

It's amazing how many of those parks CDs I already have. Phew! Not too many more that I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on! :laugh:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to note for Disney music lovers that Kritzerland has put out a new CD of Sherman Brothers music--it's music for productions that never made it to stage or screen.

So even though not technically Disney music--the Shermans, of course, have a long history with the Disney company and are responsible for many of my favorite Disney songs.

We had a discussion on this release in the RAH's Mary Poppins Blu thread...starting HERE.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Speaking of Disney music, apparently it's now a thing at weddings that the bride and groom pick songs to enter with, instead of just playing Here Comes The Bride on a loop. (Who knew that at 33, I was so old fashioned and out of touch!) Totally came as news to me that I needed walk-in music at my wedding.

I mentioned using the Donald Duck theme song as a joke early on in the process, but in the months of planning, I could never come up with something that amused me as much as that did. So last Friday, I walked down the aisle to the Donald Duck theme. To the people who knew me best and who could hear the lyrics, it was perfection. I somehow kept something close to a straight face as I was walking :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
At the age of 57, I'm totally clueless about that stuff, too! I've never even heard of the groom walking down the aisle!

Was this what you walked down the aisle to? if so, hysterical!

I've mentioned this in other places on the forum, but not sure that I've ever actually mentioned it in this very thread. I also used a Disney song for the father-daughter dance at my daughter's wedding (and she didn't know it was coming). For details, see the "Father of the Bride" link in my signature.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's the one, Mike! My now sister-in-law works at Disney World and loves all things Disney and she was cracking up as soon as she heard the first notes - she knew what was coming.

I've read that portion of your page before, it's really sweet and I thank you for sharing it :)

And yeah, I didn't realize I was walking down the aisle either at first (I thought I was just entering from the side) - when the wedding planner said so, my response was like, "you want me to walk where?!"

So I went first and went to the front of the room (to the Donald Duck theme), then her parents followed by mine entered down the aisle and went to their seats, then the Best Man and Maid of Honor took their places up front with me (all of that to Buddy Holly's Everyday), and then the bride herself walked down the aisle with that new version of Can't Help Falling In Love.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks