What's new

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney seems to be going in a direction where we get one Legacy Collection title per year.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame for its 25th anniversary last year. Aladdin for its 30th anniversary this year.

Which makes me wonder...what's next year?

There is no Walt Disney Animation Studios film turning 30 in 2023. They went from Aladdin in November 1992 to The Lion King in June 1994. The closest would be The Nightmare Before Christmas, which was deemed too dark for Disney and released originally through Touchstone Pictures. Disney has embraced it more in recent years. But I don't know if there is that much to add to its soundtrack, which already runs 62 minutes for a 75-minute film.

With Aladdin available, Hercules is now the final Alan Menken musical from the Disney Animation renaissance period which does not have a Legacy Collection release. So I think that one is due. But its 25th anniversary would be this year. I'd be happy if they gave it to us next year anyway, but almost all of the Legacy releases have been tied to a specific "significant" anniversary for the film. The only exception is Beauty and the Beast which was released in 2018 when the film was 27. I hope they don't make us wait another five years for Hercules to turn 30.

2023 will be the 25th anniversary of Mulan from Disney and A Bug's Life from Pixar. I would certainly welcome more complete editions of either or both of those. The existing soundtrack for Mulan is only 52 minutes and leaves off a lot of Jerry Goldsmith's great score for that film. Disney doesn't tend to promote A Bug's Life nearly as much as its Pixar brethren, but I really like that film and think it is one of Randy Newman's best scores. The existing soundtrack release is only 48 minutes.

2023 is also the 20th (!) anniversary of Finding Nemo. Its current soundtrack release is 61 minutes. WALL-E will turn 15. Its current soundtrack release is 62 minutes and the United States CD version has been out of print for some time.

Disney Animation's Brother Bear will turn 20. It has a 49-minute soundtrack release currently. I like that movie a lot, but it is certainly the least popular title I've already mentioned. I would welcome a new edition of that, but I would be really surprised if they did it instead of one of the bigger titles.

Of course, Frozen will be turning ten. It already got a very nice 2-disc CD release in 2013, but the bonus tracks were all cut songs and score demos. I think it probably still has some score unreleased from the actual film. It does the thing that most Disney soundtracks do where the songs are presented first, followed by the score. I would certainly welcome a new edition of this featuring the entire score and re-ordered so all of it flows in and out of the songs chronologically. But the fact that they already did a 2-disc version of it before would seem to make it less likely. Frozen has certainly had a huge cultural impact in the last almost-decade, though, so I could see justification for doing something for its anniversary.

Monsters University will also turn ten, but I'd be really shocked if they did a new release for that before Monsters, Inc., which is clearly the more beloved of those two films.

Going further back into Walt-era films, Peter Pan will turn 70. Its current soundtrack is 53 minutes and already includes a couple bonus tracks. I'm not sure how much score they have would to add, though. It is a 77 minute movie. This would also present a cross-promotional marketing opportunity because the live-action remake Peter Pan and Wendy will be coming to Disney+ next year.

But if they're only going to pick one of these films with significant anniversaries, I haven't got a clue how they go about doing that. There are more than enough titles for them to do several releases per year as used to be the case. But since they've slowed down, I would think they'll probably just do one again, if that.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I wonder if there is enough material to do a legacy release of Bedknobs and Broomsticks and/or The Happiest Millionaire. I would love it if they would release the "second cast" albums of the musical films, I am particularly fond of the Mike Sammes Singers Bedknobs and Happiest Millionaire albums. Even typing this I realize it won't happen, but it is nice to ponder.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks, Jake. I've ordered mine (along with the latest DL Official Album). Man, there's a lot of new tracks on that one--attractions I know very little about. I've only ever been to WDW.

There’s a new Disneyland soundtrack? Sweet! I have the Legacy one from maybe five years ago - I forget the date it came out but was a Christmas gift from a friend who knows I like the parks. I was only at Disneyland once, 1995 I think. All of my other park visits have been in Florida.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Aladdin has been removed again. They must really be selling through those quickly.

There’s a new Disneyland soundtrack? Sweet!

I wonder if there is enough material to do a legacy release of Bedknobs and Broomsticks and/or The Happiest Millionaire.
I think Broomsticks would probably be the more likely of the two. But the only live-action film to be included in the Legacy Collection yet is Mary Poppins, which is quite a bit more popular. I would be really surprised if they dug deeper than that while so many high-profile animated titles have yet to receive this kind of treatment.

The decision to make the physical Legacy titles exclusive to Disney Music Emporium probably means the series is going to be more niche. I don't have a clue how many physical copies of Aladdin they've printed, but it is probably way fewer than it would be if this were a general release available at bigger retailers like Amazon. I suppose this means they could do some titles that wouldn't necessarily be super mainstream. But it doesn't seem to be a priority if they're only doing one per year.

It also comes down to how much they have available to add versus what they put on the original album.

Last edited:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I got my copy of Aladdin. I'm getting a little tired of having to jump on things instantly in order to buy them. Bring back the glory days of Caldor's (in Connecticut), where a record or tape would sit on a shelf for years just waiting for you to buy it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm getting a little tired of having to jump on things instantly in order to buy them.
I don't think that's the case. Aladdin is new and in high demand right now so it sold out a couple times, but it will eventually settle in. You can still buy Hunchback which was released last year. There is no indication that this is a limited edition release that won't continue to be available.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I don't think that's the case. Aladdin is new and in high demand right now so it sold out a couple times, but it will eventually settle in. You can still buy Hunchback which was released last year. There is no indication that this is a limited edition release that won't continue to be available.
Sorry I did not read the last few posts my apologies

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
[in response to a since-edited comment[

Nothing in your post has anything to do with my previous post that you quoted or other recent discussion points in this thread. Respectfully, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Nothing in your post has anything to do with my previous post that you quoted or other recent discussion points in this thread. Respectfully, I'm not sure how to respond to that.
No problem sorry disregard - thought it was all things Disney I bow out of the thread thanks!!!!!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
thought it was all things Disney
This thread is about all things Disney music.

I'm not saying that bringing up things other than the Aladdin CD isn't okay. But it seemed to me that because you quoted my post, you were responding to my post. Discussion of Mary Poppins is certainly fine, and I didn't mean to scare you off the thread. But I was confused because what you're talking about veered away from what you were quoting. That's all.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
This thread is about all things Disney music.

I'm not saying that bringing up things other than the Aladdin CD isn't okay. But it seemed to me that because you quoted my post, you were responding to my post. Discussion of Mary Poppins is certainly fine, and I didn't mean to scare you off the thread. But I was confused because what you're talking about veered away from what you were quoting. That's all.
Thank u my friend I get a bit confused due to health issues

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This just released maybe this week The new edition of the animated Beauty and the Beast soundtrack now with Atmos.

It sounds fabulous.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The new edition of the animated Beauty and the Beast soundtrack now with Atmos.

That's cool. But the only problem is that feels like a step backwards to me in terms of the content. The Legacy Collection release from 2018 includes the entire underscore and has The Mob Song in its correct placement instead of before the title song. This version is back to the standard track list. I'd still prefer the whole thing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don’t think that’s on the streaming service

Apple Music which I use has it. But I bought the physical CD.

71-bko52E6L._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

olivia1

Auditioning
Real Name
Olivia
The new animated Wish, Nightmare Before Christmas, Coco, Toy Story, Aladdin 92, Aladdin 2019, Tarzan, The Lion King, Pocahontas, Little Mermaid 89, Hercules, Princess and the Frog, Tarzan, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen 1 and 2, Moana, Encanto, Tangled, Disenchanted all got Dolby Atmos remaster. I wish someone with a better music sensibility would give us a feedback. I love that we seem to ear so many instruments I have never heard before. But for some reason some synthetic instruments that used to be lost in the orchestra now can really be heard. Nevertheless it's such an amazing new take of soundtracks I've listen hundreds of time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks